PDA

View Full Version : Birthright Mmorpg

HarlGraystorm
12-12-2003, 05:31 AM
After a lot of thought and consideration, I think a Birthright MMORPG would probably the best possible MMO that D&D could come out with. Who at WotC could I pitch this to? I doubt I can get anywhere, but I have a lot of it worked out.

Birthright-L
12-12-2003, 08:38 AM
Well for programmers you could look into sourceforge

(http://sourceforge.net), and I may be interested in working on this.

However, I cannot help you with the legal implications.

Terence

----- Original Message -----

To: <BIRTHRIGHT-L@ORACLE.WIZARDS.COM>

Sent: Friday, December 12, 2003 12:31 AM

Subject: Birthright Mmorpg [2#2135]

> This post was generated by the Birthright.net message forum.

> You can view the entire thread at:

http://www.birthright.net/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=2&t=2135

>

> HarlGraystorm wrote:

> After a lot of thought and consideration, I think a Birthright MMORPG

would probably the best possible MMO that D&D could come out with. Who

at WotC could I pitch this to? I doubt I can get anywhere, but I have a lot

of it worked out.

>

>

>

> Birthright-l Archives:

http://oracle.wizards.com/archives/birthright-l.html

>

>

Arjan
12-12-2003, 09:08 AM
I am currently working on a fully automated BR mmorpg written in PHP and mySQL

Arjan

Op 12 Dec 2003 06:43 CET schreef U:

> This post was generated by the Birthright.net message forum.

> You can view the entire thread at: http://www.birthright.net/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=2&t=2135

>

> HarlGraystorm wrote:

> After a lot of thought and consideration, I think a Birthright MMORPG would probably the best possible MMO that D&D could come out with. Who at WotC could I pitch this to? I doubt I can get anywhere, but I have a lot of it worked out.

>

>

>

>

>

>

Arjan
12-12-2003, 12:09 PM
The first age of the mmorpg i am working on is called "Legacy of Kings : the flight from the shadow"

it is a cerilia wide campaign starting with the first human settlers in cerlilia who are fleeing from aduria.
the six tribes (including the masetian and the vos as they used to be) have their own starting place. (ie. the first settlement of their tribe).

from there you can explore cerilia and start up your own domain.

more details will come later.

Arjan

Benjamin
12-12-2003, 01:32 PM
Sorry to sound ignorant, but what does mmo in mmorpg rpg stand for? Thanks.

Arjan
12-12-2003, 02:26 PM
Massive
Multiplayer
Role
Playing
Game

so the game will actually a MMORTSG :)

Arjan

Kyrion
12-12-2003, 02:27 PM
Massively Multi Player Online. The dumbest acronym I`ve ever read and wish

the gaming companies had come up with a better one back in the mid-90s. I

blame Everquest and Ultima Online for this.

At 02:32 PM 12/12/2003 +0100, you wrote:

>This post was generated by the Birthright.net message forum.

> You can view the entire thread at:

> http://www.birthright.net/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=2&t=2135

>

> Benjamin wrote:

> Sorry to sound ignorant, but what does mmo in mmorpg rpg stand

> for? Thanks.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>---

>[This E-mail scanned for viruses by Declude Virus Scanner]

HarlGraystorm
12-13-2003, 10:57 PM
I have a lot of ideas and have been looking for somebody to pitch it to. Are you familiar with anybody for WotC that will listen? They own the copyrights, so I have to go through them.

Here are just a list of some of the main ideas I have about the MMO:

All players are scions
All realms, law, guild, temple, and source, are controlled by guilds, which have to apply for them in advance. This is a new concept, but it works well. The GM will play the actual ruler and the guildies will be their court.
Battles would be Medieval Total War style. As in, if Ghoere goes to war with Mhoried, then 100 knights (NPC of course) show up and march to Mhoried. Players (scions) would participate and obviously help turn the tides of battle.
I was also thinking about trading for guilds... Guilds can operate mines and run trade routes. i.e. there is an iron mine in Mhoried. The guild needs to post guards there, or face bandit attacks. The iron mined needs to get shipped to Endier, so they need to guard the ship transporting it, or face attack. Now, balance issues can easily be addressed via a "law" system, but that&#39;s not worth getting into right now.

What is your MMO looking like? Is there any way I can help? Who at WotC can I contact about this?

the Falcon
12-14-2003, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by Kyrion@Dec 12 2003, 04:27 PM
Massively Multi Player Online. The dumbest acronym I`ve ever read and wish the gaming companies had come up with a better one back in the mid-90s. I blame Everquest and Ultima Online for this.
Dumber than Massively Online Multiplayer? ;)

lord_arioch
12-17-2003, 07:19 AM
I find it difficult to see Birthright as a MMORPG simple because of the ruler turn system. Regents would have to submit their actions, wait for approval then fight out any battles or complete any adventure.

Does anyone have ideas to deal with this?

HarlGraystorm
12-17-2003, 04:11 PM
That is a good question.

What I was thinking invloved "gametime."

Various games have gametime/realtime ratios. Birthright would need the same thing. One week in real life constitutes 1 month BR time, which would mean 1 domain action. Or maybe 1 week would constitute 1 domain turn with 3 actions.

This basically means a ruling scion (of a guild, temple, law, or source) would have one week to do any domain actions. This would encourage activity and punish inactivity.

The setup for this would involve the guild structure of other MMOs, but slightly modified, of course. Say we&#39;re talking about a realm. The GM of Guild X would be the ruler of Realm X. The members of the "guild" would just be members of the "court." For Temples they would be in service to the church, as priests, guards, etc.

If the GM is lax, the realm suffers and the scions of the guild would have the option of deposing, or replacing him/her.

lord_arioch
12-17-2003, 10:24 PM
what would be the purpose of the guild members? Would they just wander about doing their own thing and check in at the guild to see if things are going well or would they be responsible for running mines, ports, caravans or ships to keep the guild profitable and the GBs coming in?

Would guild members be put in control of the guilds units? ships and soldiers. That would be an interesting concept as a battle would be a very chaotic affair (eg. Guildmaster general to guild member commander "No I said wait until I engage the center before attacking their flank&#33;"

If it&#39;s anything like Shogun total war or Medival total war the units and commanders would gain exp for wins.

Could be interesting.

HarlGraystorm
12-18-2003, 01:52 PM
That&#39;s pretty much what I had in mind.

Guild members would have duties and responsibilities associated with the realm. Now, not all would need to do a specific service, just think real nobility. They would just be adventurers and members of the court. That can easily change as giuld needs change.

I was thinking Medieval Total War-style battles would only make sense. This would make this the biggest MMO out there. If there are 100 knights, we see them marching on screen. In command of where they go and what they do would be 1 guild member. In command of that guild member would be, of course, the GM, or ruler. This would really help the reality of war. Some unit commanders would do their own thing, or not do exactly what they were told, wihch would affect battles positively or negatively.

And if units were not in command of scions, then NPCs would be at their head.

Guildies would be responsible for almost any administrative duty you can think of. And because the number of guildies will likely outnumber duties, that would help with people not being on 100% of the time.

It would be a Strategy MMORPG. The first of its kind.

Arius Vistoon
12-19-2003, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by Arjan@Dec 12 2003, 10:08 AM
I am currently working on a fully automated BR mmorpg written in PHP and mySQL

Arjan

cool,
im working in a similaire project ( fully automated BR mmorpg with php/mysql )
but not for birthright only but for everyworld using birthright&#39;s system

it&#39;s for this , i&#39;m interesting to modular ship

Grey_Bishop
12-22-2003, 09:08 PM
To those of you working on stuff for this please keep us informed&#33; :)

I would be happy with the old Birthright computer game being made multiplayer (with hotseat capabilites to use it to simulate and track for a PnP game). But alas...

lord_arioch
12-23-2003, 04:52 AM
Just think of it, a turn based system for realm actions and a real time system when conducting war.
A MMORPG that encompases the entire continent of Cerilia.

that would be awesome.

diablo
12-26-2003, 12:59 AM
Please stop.
You are disturbing the peace of my heart.
My dream is to see a Shogun game-type in Birthright world.
Oh, wouldn&#39;t I be online then.