PDA

View Full Version : Domain Design Questions

Sellenus
12-09-2003, 01:05 PM
Hello all, I have a couple of questions regarding domain design. The group I play with has always prefered to design their own domains. This made the domain design appendix in the 2nd Ed rulebook key. Has the appendix been updated for the new edition? Or should we simply use the old one? If it has where can I find it?

If we are using the old one, how does the Noble class figure into the Base costs for Holding and Province? We treated him like a warrior, and adjusted his Province cost.

More to follow...

Sellenus
12-09-2003, 02:41 PM
Also, Domain Asset costs when creating a domain were significantly lower than build costs later. With this in mind, what would the cost of adding in a Seaport be during Domain creation. Shouldn't it be less than the 6 GB it would cost later?

Benjamin
12-10-2003, 02:54 AM
Well, as I have been no part of the BRCS work, I can't say what they were thinking when they left this out. I imagine it was a "how important is this for 3E right now" issue, and they left it out on purpose. Perhaps the second edition will have something like this.

But to answer your question, I think you should take some examples of things that are listed from 2E to 3E and extrapolate your own chart. The fact that a seaport may cost less in the design phase than actually building one later may be taken into account that you get a lot fewer points to design a realm. If you are playing a realm, you get income each turn and can do things over time, thus they cost a lot to try to create balance.

I recommend figuring out how many points you envision giving your players, and make each thing they may want cost accordingly. If you only give them 20 points for a realm, maybe a seaport costs 2. If you give them 100, maybe it costs 10.

Just my humble suggestion. :D

Athos69
12-11-2003, 11:53 PM
I can't speak for Ian, et. al., but I feel that the Domain Design rules more properly belong with the Atlas project.

irdeggman
12-12-2003, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by Athos69@Dec 11 2003, 06:53 PM
I can't speak for Ian, et. al., but I feel that the Domain Design rules more properly belong with the Atlas project.
I recall there being some version of the domain design rules in a preliminary version of the BRCS and can't think of why they were omitted from the posted playtest version. I think it had more to do with the 'rush job' of putting it together to get out for playtesting and it was just overlooked.

I don't think the domain design rules belong in the Atlas, because they are more generic and should apply to the entire setting. The Atlas is basically regionally oriented and is curretnly being planned on being issued in sections.

Whenever I manage to recover my computer files, I'll see if I can find an earlier version that had the domain design rules in it.

Sellenus
12-12-2003, 03:10 AM
Cool, as for now I guess we'll wing it...

teloft
12-17-2003, 05:16 AM
I would realy like to see some guide lines on realm creation. As Im alowing my players to build there Domains from scratch.

I have opted to alow them to have free rain over there own imagenation. and produce where thay settle.

____
still looking for players BR pbem "Newdawn"
http:/land.vortex.is/forum/

MJH
01-08-2004, 03:03 PM
The system I use for domain creation is based off of the d20 version of BL strength where it had a starting range comparable to other statistics.

Points (Bl attribute + BL mod)(BL Att + BL Bod)
For examble a character with a bloodline st of 8 would have 7x7 or 49 points to work with and one with a strength of 10 would have 100 points wto work with.

Province Cost: 20 per level
Holding Cost: 10 per level
Gold Bars : 1 Each
Regency: 1 Each
Units: Muster Cost
Buildings, Fortifications, palaces: Build Cost

So far this has worked for me and it provides a great range from lv 2 provinces to medium domains for strongly blooded characters.

If you use it please let me know how it works in your game.

Blackfrost
02-03-2008, 11:38 AM
I know that this is a pretty old thread but was an updated version of the Domain Design rules ever created?

irdeggman
02-03-2008, 10:27 PM
I know that this is a pretty old thread but was an updated version of the Domain Design rules ever created?

Sorry, no it wasn't.

Blackfrost
02-04-2008, 12:05 AM
My apologies irdeggman. I know I keep asking questions like this... it's just that I've been out of the loop for quite a bit and I just recently had a chance to really read through the entire BRCS (deployments, PCS moves to foreign lands, etc.). The last rulebook I read through (and was using in a campaign) was the version before 3.0 that you guys created.

Anyway, it's always easier to use pre-existing material then to start from scratch so I thought I'd try ;)

Thanks!