PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Official Birthright Product Line

Elton Robb
01-02-2002, 05:14 AM
Everyone. It's time to meet the new Birthright Developers who will be developing Core materials for the 3E Birthright Campaign.;)

Travis Doom --- Travis Doom is the writer of the current BR conversion Manual.

Elton Robb --- I myself I'm trying to inject new interest in BR 3E, and I have also written a conversion manual.

Hopefully, Ian Hoskins. Developer of the Aduria Expansion.

--------
Support Roles

There are two people who fill Support roles. They are:

Arjan --- Birthright.net Webmaster

Richard Baker --- Wizards of the Coast correspondent and original developer of Birthright.

I have a new poll. It's time to voice your choice on the new Official BR Line. Although we are going to update Birthright into 3E with the Release of a new Birthright Campaign Setting (which will consolidate the material in the Atlas, the Birthright Rulebook, and <Ruins of Empire[/i]). We are also going to release Updates for each of the Region expansions like Havens of the Great Bay and The Tarvan Wastes.

You get to tell us what you would like to see.

Lawgiver
01-02-2002, 05:49 AM
Orginally posted by Elton Robb Although we are going to update Birthright into 3E with the Release of a new Birthright Campaign Setting (which will consolidate the material in the Atlas, the Birthright Rulebook, and <Ruins of Empire[/i]).

Is the third option in the poll supposed to say one monster book instead of three. As in a new version of the three old books combined? Other wise I'm not sure what the third poll option refers too.

Lawgiver
01-02-2002, 05:51 AM
Orginally posted by Elton Robb
Elton Robb --- I myself I'm trying to inject new interest in BR 3E, and I have also written a conversion manual.

Is this in an online format? If so whats the web address?

Elton Robb
01-02-2002, 05:55 AM
Orginally posted by Lawgiver

Is the third option in the poll supposed to say one monster book instead of three. As in a new version of the three old books combined? Other wise I'm not sure what the third poll option refers too.

Acutally, the Choice is between having 3 Monster books: Blood Enemies 3E with Awnsheghlien Template, a Shadow World book, and a Monstrous Compendium containing new monsters by Submission from BR.net readers

--- OR ----

A Monstrous Compendium combining the three books.

:)
Respectfully Yours,
Elton Robb

Lawgiver
01-02-2002, 06:04 AM
In that case I might combine the Blood Enemies and Shadow World book, but I'd leave the Montrous Compendium seperate.

I really don't have the need for a full seperate Monstrous Compendium. I don't see adding more than 20-30 monsters to Birthright (without creating to many funky creatures), which is hardly enough to fill a compendium.

Since it would be smaller it would be better to tack it on to the end of another publication. However, I'd add it to the main 3e rules book rather than the Bld En. and SW combo.

Arjan
01-02-2002, 08:09 AM
I already tried to start the Book of Guildcraft once, so i would to see it started (and finished).:)

Elton Robb
01-02-2002, 04:22 PM
Orginally posted by arjan

I already tried to start the Book of Guildcraft once, so i would to see it started (and finished).:)

It seems so far that 100% polled would like to see a Book of Guildcraft. We will get around to it once we can fit it in the schedule. :P

This poll is to see what future official product that the BR fans want.:)

Respectfully Yours,
Elton Robb

Bryon
01-02-2002, 05:00 PM
I'm sure that like everyone else here we would love to be involved in this expansion. To see the rebirth of Birthright is a dream alot of people have.

If you need any help please ask away and we all will lend a hand.

Raesene Andu
01-03-2002, 08:26 AM
I think there is a need for a book of guildcraft, as rogues are the only class without a book now that the book of regency has been released online. Actually I originally thought that the book of regceny would include both fighters and guilds, but it was not to be.

My thoughts on content
- the usual on strategies
- more detail on trade routes. TR always seem to raise a lot of questions, so finalise the rules in BoG. Perhaps some rules to deal with pirates and bandits raiding TR.
- Some prestige classes. Personally I would make the guilder (assuming you still want to use the class) a prestige class, one with several guild related bonuses. My merchant-adventurer prestige class is based on the guilder, and could be converted with miminal effort
- some info on assassination, ingtriges, etc. Major part of a rogue's actions.
- I would also like to see more on mercenaries, perhaps a small section on famous mercenary companies and that sort of thing. This should probably have been in BoR, so you may still want to keep it seperate, if so I may write up something sometime. Also, if anyone is interested I can redo my old pirate info, expand it a little and add a few new pirates etc.- Anyone care to add to the list?

Finally, I don't think it should be huge, although after everything is added it will probably turn out fairly big anyway. I know from working on my Adurian Expansion that these projects can grow big really quickly. Currently the Adurian Rulebook is a 1.5 meg word file and it is only about a 1/3 complete.

Now the monster books.

Lawgiver: I've already come up with more than 30 new monsters for Aduria, mostly to give the setting a unique feel, and I'm still working on the shadow world monsters, so I think it shouldn't be too hard to come up with new monster. If you like, I can make my shadow world monsters available as I create them and they can be used for a book on monsters. Probably should keep the Adurian ones seperate for now, as most require different climates/terrain than is found in Cerilia.

Arch-Sorcerer Gargamel
01-03-2002, 01:50 PM
I've recently begun working on some prestige classes and timeline advancements for Birthright. In fact, I've just recently dedicated myself to updating the setting. However, I would like at all cost for these to not seem in vain (to me at least).

To this effect, I would like to assist in official production and updates (etc.) if at all possible.

I do not have anything really complete at this moment, but my ideas are forming well. Nonetheless, your post has gotten my attention, and I'm excited to see the setting updated. Just say the word, and I'll lend you my back to help carry the load.

Lord Eldred
01-06-2002, 04:31 PM
I know it wasn't one of the choices but I would love to see some adventures based on the Birthright setting. Also, another book with a bunch of mini-situations that a regent could face. Along with the Book of Guildcraft!

Raesene Andu
01-07-2002, 06:07 AM
Perhaps another book like the Hero Kings book, which is without doubt the best birthright adventure released, a collection several adventures. I have a few ideas, actually I have 3 rather large adventures I was working on, I could continue on them. One is created for low level characters and set in Roesone, the other two are for high level characters.

Lord Eldred
01-08-2002, 02:52 AM
Raesene I would love to see the finished projects. I also agree on your assessment of the Hero Kings book. I couldn't remember the name of it but a similar book is what I would really like to see!

Lofwyr
02-27-2002, 03:23 PM
Is there a chance that these products will be published by someone? Elton? Do you have an editor who wants it?

spehar
02-28-2002, 10:29 AM
What you're going to see Lofwyr is them downloadable here on birthright.net and some of the other major sites; Morg and Ians' come to mind though there are many others.

Hey Ian, is there going to be a new monster that's a cross between a lizardman and an ogre? We could call them morgramen!

Elton Robb
02-28-2002, 02:39 PM
Orginally posted by Lofwyr

Is there a chance that these products will be published by someone? Elton? Do you have an editor who wants it?

Believe it or not, there is a precedent that they could be published by someone. Wizards of the Coast or some other third party d20 publisher. Here is a statement about the dead worlds made by Anthony Valterra, Brand Manager over the whole D&D mess.

What about some of the older settings? What is WotC's policy on these - would you consider licensing them out as you have done with Ravenloft? Is there any chance *at all* that any of them will see the light of day again as WotC game products?

Absolutely.

Absolutely you would consider licensing them, or absolutely they may appear as WotC products? Are there any specific plans on the table for any of the older settings other than the official sites we see now? Is there anything in discussion?

Yes!

That was made on En World/D20 Reviews. http://www.d20reviews.com/Interviews/inter...s_valterra2.htm (http://www.d20reviews.com/Interviews/interviews_valterra2.htm)
EN World - Interviews - Valterra2

Now lets take a look at the Facts. We KNOW that there is at least 500 gamers who wants Birthright back (910 have signed on BR.net). That means there is at least a potential revenue of $500,000 for the Birthright Product Line.

Now, if we make our products of such high quality and make them available for download, and if Arjan can keep track on how many downloads have been made, we can approach Wizards of the Coast for reviving the line. Or a third party publisher like Arthaus, Atlas, AEG, or Fantasy Flight.

Wizards of the Coast is the preferred option, since they own the orginal IP license. The best possible Scenario is this: Birthright gets revived by WOTC, the Design Team becomes the Official BR Design Team and Ed Stark or Richard Baker becomes our Brand Manager. The Worst Possible Scenario is that things stay as they are.

But with $500,000 possible in Sales, what 3rd Party Publisher can resist approaching us and Wizards for the license to publish new Birthright Material?

Respectfully Yours,
Elton Robb

spehar
02-28-2002, 04:51 PM
TSR quit making it for a reason. And when the idea came up once about buying the rights and told how finicky we would be and crap couldn't be put out one potential suitor went by the way side. If your thinking it'll happen, I have some real estate to sell you in Arkansas. (US residents will get that, I hope). I hope I'm wrong though.

Elton Robb
02-28-2002, 06:53 PM
Times change.

Respectfully Yours,
Elton Robb

Lord Eldred
03-01-2002, 02:02 AM
$500,000 a year? How many of spend $1000 a year on D & D products or can afford that much?

Were sales that bad that they had to discontinue? Could it have been poor marketing?

Elton Robb
03-01-2002, 03:31 AM
Orginally posted by Lord Eldred

$500,000 a year? How many of spend $1000 a year on D & D products or can afford that much?

Were sales that bad that they had to discontinue? Could it have been poor marketing?

Huh? I meant possible renavue in sales. Gross Sales. Of course that is Exaggerating a bit.

spehar
03-01-2002, 03:56 AM
Specific figures are irrelevant, unless you plan on coughing up the dough or are part of a group that does so. You can blame a lot of causes on the lackluster sales. Anyone here a marketing major/grad?

Chioran
03-11-2002, 03:48 AM
Not a marketing major or a grad, but I did marketing for a software company for almost a year. I could convince eskimos that their igloo would not be complete without central air.

Lawgiver
03-19-2002, 05:50 AM
Orginally posted by Chioran
Not a marketing major or a grad, but I did marketing for a software company for almost a year. I could convince eskimos that their igloo would not be complete without central air.
There is a big difference in personal sales and throwing product on a bookstore shelf and expecting it to disappear. Other than gaming conventions and limited exposure to magazines such as Dragon advertising RPGs is a bit difficult. Overall the best method is word of mouth... Unfortunately, neither Elrder or I (the two biggest mouths on the page) work for WOTC. :)

Chioran
03-19-2002, 07:11 PM
Orginally posted by Lawgiver

Orginally posted by Chioran
There is a big difference in personal sales and throwing product on a bookstore shelf and expecting it to disappear. Other than gaming conventions and limited exposure to magazines such as Dragon advertising RPGs is a bit difficult. Overall the best method is word of mouth... Unfortunately, neither Elrder or I (the two biggest mouths on the page) work for WOTC. :)

However, between the two of you, you could probably generate enough intertia to get an email campaign going. If WOTC is innundated they may react.

Chaos Lord Arioch
03-24-2002, 06:35 PM
Inuit. Chioran.
They're not called eskimos, they're called Inuit.
(just being a wise guy;))

A book of Guildcraft is definitely the way to go. Like some have said before, clarification of rules regarding trade routes and perhaps an expanded random events list for guilders.
(Or expanded random events for that matter!).

Chioran
03-25-2002, 03:26 PM
Orginally posted by Chaos Lord Arioch

Inuit. Chioran.
They're not called eskimos, they're called Inuit.
(just being a wise guy;))

A book of Guildcraft is definitely the way to go. Like some have said before, clarification of rules regarding trade routes and perhaps an expanded random events list for guilders.
(Or expanded random events for that matter!).

Gee, I thought Inuit was the company that made the Quicken software. ;)

Mark_Aurel
03-25-2002, 03:30 PM
That's Intuit, not Inuit.

Lawgiver
03-26-2002, 03:54 AM
Orginally posted by Mark_Aurel
That's Intuit, not Inuit.
I thought it was southern slang for: "I knew the answer." as in: "It was the butler in the dining room with the candlestick. Inuit!"

Mark_Aurel
03-26-2002, 11:45 AM
That's not very intuitive on paper, but once you try to pronounce Inuit without knowing the proper pronounciation, it becomes very intuitive.