PDA

View Full Version : Bloodmark

Mourn
10-24-2003, 10:14 PM
I've been working on a generic bloodline system that will operate outside of the Birthright setting, and was looking over the Bloodmark ability, which is remarkably weak and does nothing to differentiate the different bloodlines... so I came up with this alternative, which I have only begun testing.

My system uses feats in order to grant the bloodline abilities, some of which are rather power. It also uses the Bloodline (Bld) ability score.

Scion [Bloodline]
You are the descendant of an ancient and powerful bloodline.
Benefit: You gain a subtype, along with certain innate abilities, appropriate to your bloodline.

Bloodlines
Air:You gain the (Air) subtype. You gain a fly speed equal to your base land speed, with perfect maneuverability.

Chaotic: You gain the (Chaotic) subtype. Your natural weapons and weapon attacks act as chaotic-aligned weapons for the purposes of overcoming damage reduction.

Evil: You gain the (Evil) subtype. Your natural weapons and weapon attacks act as evil-aligned weapons for the purposes of overcoming damage reduction.

Earth: You gain the (Earth) subtype. You gain a burrow speed equal to your base land speed.

Fire: You gain the (Fire) subtype. You gain fire immunity.

Good: You gain the (Good) subtype. Your natural weapons and weapon attacks act as good-aligned weapons for the purposes of overcoming damage reduction.

Lawful: You gain the (Lawful) subtype. Your natural weapons and weapon attacks act as lawful-aligned weapons for the purposes of overcoming damage reduction.

Water: You gain the (Water) subtype. You can breathe air and water. You gain a swim speed equal to your base land speed.

Blood Magic [Bloodline]
Prerequisite: The ability to cast 0-level spells.
Benefit: You may opt to use your Bloodline score in place of your normal spellcasting ability score.

Divine Right [Bloodline]
Prerequisite: Bloodline (any) 13+, Strong Bloodline, Leadership.
Benefit: You may add your Bloodline ability score modifier to your Leadership score.

Strong Bloodline [Bloodline]
Prerequisite: Bloodline (any) 13+.
Benefit: You gain a +2 bonus to your Bloodline score. You are immune to ability damage and drain that affects your Bloodline score.

I'm also working on a scion class... whether prestige or core, I'm still working it out... which gains minor spellcasting progression in certain spells that relate to the bloodline, as well as a list of bonus feats available by bloodline.

Any input is welcome.

destowe
10-24-2003, 11:02 PM
Strong Bloodline -

Requires- 6th level character, raised bloodline by 2 points (either by RP or the ability increase at every 4th level).

Raises minor to major bloodline.

(Maybe if used by a 9th level character, and 3 [or 4] points of bloodline increase it would allow major to become great bloodlines.)

Special- can only be taken once by any character.

[edited to change 6th to 9th for increase from major to great]

Mourn
10-24-2003, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by destowe@Oct 24 2003, 03:02 PM
Strong Bloodline -

Requires- 6th level character, raised bloodline by 2 points (either by RP or the ability increase at every 4th level).

Raises minor to major bloodline.

(Maybe if used by a 6th level character, and 3 [or 4] points of bloodline increase it would allow major to become great bloodlines.)

Special- can only be taken once by any character.
Heh. After I wrote that and posted it, I wrote up a couple more.

Prereq: Bloodline 11+.
Benefit: +2 to Bloodline.

Great Bloodline [Bloodline]
Prereq: Bloodline 15+, Strong Bloodline.
Benefit: +2 to Bloodline. Immune to permanent Bloodline drain.

Pure Bloodline [Bloodline]
Prereq: Bloodline 19+, Strong Bloodline, Great Bloodline.
Benefit: +2 to Bloodline. Immune to temporary Bloodline damage.

And just so you know, I'm not using the standard Birthright method of bloodline strength, with minor, major, great, and true bloodlines... the Bloodline ability score is the only measure of power in this system, and the feats help increase it.

teloft
10-25-2003, 01:31 AM
not my tea, but reads nicely.

:ph34r:

teloft
10-25-2003, 03:23 PM
:ph34r:

RaspK_FOG
10-27-2003, 11:43 AM
Interesting... Why don't you suggest it as a variant as soon as you finish testing? It runs rather well, or so it seems to me...

teloft
10-27-2003, 05:04 PM
after I red this, and sleept on it, i started thinking about spending Rp, and Rp versus bloodline.

here is a variant thet makes Rp much more valuable, without strengthening it.

I have been thinking about this with the variand thet the bloodscore is a limiting factor in how much Rp you an acsuly gain based on your efective Bloodscore.

if you need to spend Rp beond your reserv, you do not automaticly go down in blood score, But your efective bloodscore will be coulculated by this formula, (Bloodscore - Rp spent),

Now it is harder to loose your blood, but spending Rp beond your limit is much mor hasardus, for your efective blood score is redused much faster. witch comes back by gaining Rp.

Now it is possible to spend more Rp then your Bloodscore is, efectivly reducing it below 0. !! Now you have the blood but cant colect any Rp, so you cant heal !!! This is evil. (Now it comes in handy to be able to earn Rp with your Xp) Go adventure.

In adition to this there sould be a feat. witch alows you to spend your blood points. like when you create your artifacts.

the metamagic feat, awailable to anyone blooded, Create Artifact.
This feat efectivly alows you spend your blood points in order to fule artifacts.
The destruction of the artifact will have the explosion efect, like when you kill a blooded one. having the power of the blood going into thows around it.

Therefore the powerhungry will try to steal all artifacts to destry them, efectively redusing the number of artifacts in the known world.

if you have this feat, you can take a character action, witch alows you to reduce your blood score in order to gain more Rp, this Rp can be more then your standard limit of Rp reserv, efectively filling your reserv so you wount benifit from gaining Rp lol... but also alowing you to spend more Rp then you could normaly.

Or in the case of having lower efective bloodscore becous of the lack of Rp (your reserv is more then emty) you can instantly heal your bloodscore, by spening one blood point and convert it to Rp, fuling your blood. (but this takes one character action)

Now the bloodscore in nolonger simply a bank for unused Rp, but something even more mistical.

Calculating the blood power of an Aritfact, Convert the blood spent to Rp, and.. [I have no idee]..

Atifacts are so vivid, and able. thay can be so many things, the only limit is the Dm's opinions.

one way would be to convert the Rp back to bloodpoints. and list thet as a property of the item.

Other way would be to convert it to Xp thet would fule the item creation.

-convert it to Ego points. (yes)

or convert it to blood points, then add thet to the items ego, if it supose to have an ego.

well, its simlpy the Dms rule, but I feel it sould note the blood power of the item, in order to calc how much power is relised by its destruction.

destowe
10-28-2003, 03:11 AM
Originally posted by Mourn@Oct 24 2003, 11:10 PM
Prereq: Bloodline 11+.
Benefit: +2 to Bloodline.

Great Bloodline [Bloodline]
Prereq: Bloodline 15+, Strong Bloodline.
Benefit: +2 to Bloodline. Immune to permanent Bloodline drain.

Pure Bloodline [Bloodline]
Prereq: Bloodline 19+, Strong Bloodline, Great Bloodline.
Benefit: +2 to Bloodline. Immune to temporary Bloodline damage.
I have not seen anything like a feat that gives a +2 to an ability score, permanently. That would be similar to a feat that gives a +2 inherent bonus to STR or CON.

The closest I have found is the varies Tomes, a minor artifact that only gives a +1.

Although I do like the permanent drain and temporary damage protection.

lordofallandnothing
10-28-2003, 03:20 AM
just curious here,would you happen to have a website where i can check these all out? I believe that i saw these on the net somewhere once and was thinking that maybe it was at your website that i had seen it before either that or they stole your idea lol that and does anyone around here know where i can find anything on birthright especially homebrewed stuff for i am making up a new world for birthright and am seeking all types of material for it.i am making up my own as well but sometimes seeing another persons efforts will spark a creative gene in me :-) any links out there? thanks all
by the way i love the idea of feats giving you bloodlines for it is such a neat way of handling them.

Mourn
10-30-2003, 02:01 AM
Teloft, why are you discussing RP? That has nothing to do with this. This is a system for bloodline for adventuring characters, not regents with domain-based play.

Lordofallandnothing, there's no site for this because it's just something I'm working up for my game. However, when I'm finished getting it fleshed out with a selection of feats, prestige classes, some spells and monsters, I'll post it up here.

RaspK_Fog, when I get more written up and tested out, I'll post updates.

Mourn
10-30-2003, 02:17 AM
Here's my Bloodline ability score writeup:

Bloodline (Bld)
Bloodline measures your character’s purity of blood and lineage. This ability is especially important for bards, rogues, and scions because it helps with leadership.
You apply your character’s Bloodline modifier to:
• Bluff, Diplomacy, Gather Information, Intimidate, and Perform checks against creatures with the same subtype as your character.

Generating a Seventh Ability Score
As the standard rules for generating ability scores are geared towards generating six ability scores, some methods must be tweaked when generating a seventh ability score.
The standard method described in the Player’s Handbook is used as normal, with an additional roll for the additional ability score.
The standard point buy method uses 28 points.
The nonstandard point buy methods each gain an additional three points to spend.
The elite array method uses the following ability scores: 15, 14, 13, 12, 11, 10, and 8.
The additional methods of determining ability scores are unchanged, with the exception of making an additional roll for the seventh ability score.

----

Subtype also includes race... an elf is a Humanoid (elf). So an elven scion of water would be a Humanoid (Elf, Water), and be able to add his Bloodline modifier to certain rolls against elves and creatures of the water subtype.

the Falcon
10-30-2003, 06:22 PM
Mourn said:
I've been working on a generic bloodline system that will operate outside of the Birthright setting, and was looking over the Bloodmark ability, which is remarkably weak and does nothing to differentiate the different bloodlines... so I came up with this alternative, which I have only begun testing. [...] (emphasis mine)

So what does all of the stuff below the piece of text I quoted have to with [B]Bloodmark[B]? I'm afraid I just don't see it. Am I missing something? :(