PDA

View Full Version : Domain Attitudes

Osprey
10-21-2003, 08:50 PM
Has anyone else playtesting the BRCS noticed that it's ridiculously easy to maintain friendly levels in one's domains, even when taxing those subjects to the limit?

I think a strong revision in how tax rates affect attitudes needs to be made in the revised BRCS. Currently, the sytsem is 1 for 1. But consider that at least 5 ranks in Diplomacy grants a +2 bonus each season (and I've rarely seen a competent regent who doesn't have these ranks by 2nd or 3rd level), so that allows for +2 GB taxes in every province without any net penalty! The only reason not to raise taxes to their limit is really roleplaying-based, but I don't think the system accurately represents just how much the citizenry resent paying higher taxes.

I'd suggest something much more extreme: +2 attitude per level of low taxes, and -5 attitude per level of high taxes! It's always easier to anger citizens than it is to please them!

The other possibility is to levy temporary loyalty effects when taxes are raised, like "-5 attitude paenalty for the next 2 seasons each time taxes are raised in a province." Then make the permanent effects less severe as the people gradually accept the stabilized taxation. -2 per level wouldn't be out of balance, I think. There should always be some negative effect, though, as people will always talk about "the good 'ol days" when taxes were less harsh, or about the folk in the neighboring realm who only pay "normal" taxes.

Now let's see the landed regents casually max out the tax rate!

teloft
10-22-2003, 12:00 AM
I would say the personal bonus of the regent sould be his skill, but it would not count for every prov. but all his prov sumed up.

or there would be a skill roll with a DC of prov1+prov2+prov3+...

:ph34r:

OsricIlien
10-31-2003, 11:47 PM
I think having such an initial circumstance negative is a little harsh. Perhaps for the first season a neg 5 would be appropriate but perhaps the regent can make a diplomacy check to reduce the shock to a more managble level. Maybe reduce the check by 2 or something of the like. Otherwise your completely right it is a little easy to keep them happy when you get them there.

-The former Osric Ilien
"Bloooood"

Raesene Andu
11-01-2003, 12:40 PM
Sounds reasonable.

I haven't got to looking at the Domain Attitude section of the rules yet (I mean properly looking at it in view to revision) but when I don't I'll consider your ideas then and post a proper reply.