PDA

View Full Version : Stats For Ghuralli

Raesene Andu
10-13-2003, 07:28 AM
Just a little something I put together today. What do you all think?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ghuralli

Awnshegh Fighter 10; CR 13, Large Construct; HD 18d10+30 (129 hp); Init –1; Spd 20ft; AC 30, touch 8, flat-footed 30 [–1 size, –1 Dex, +22 natural]; +22/+16 melee (2d10+11, 2 fists); Face/Reach 10ft. by 10 ft.; SA none; SQ Construct traits, damage reduction 15/moraskorr, darkvision 60ft, heat body, immunity to magic, low-light vision; AL LE: SV Fort +11; Ref +3; Will +5; Str 33, Dex 9, Con —, Int 15, Wis 13, Cha 18; Height 12 ft.
Skills: Bluff +5, Intimidate +13, Lead +13, Listen +3, Search +6, Spot +3, Warcraft+9. Feats: Awesome Blow, Blood Focus, Cleave, Conqueror, Great Cleave, Great Leader, Improved Bull Rush, Leadership, Military Genius, Power attack
Bloodline: Azrai, major, 19
Blood Abilities: Fear

Construct: Immune to mind-influencing effects, poison, disease and similar effects. Not subject to critical hits, subdual damage, ability damage, energy drain, or death from massive damage.
Heat Body (Su): Once per day Ghuralli can heat his metal body to white hot intensity, causing a bonus 2d20 points of heat damage in melee combat for 1d4 rounds. He is exhausted after such an attack and loses his strength bonus to damage for the next 4 hours until he recovers.
Immunity to Magic (Ex): Ghuralli is immune to any spell or spell-like ability that allows spell resistance. In addition, certain spells and effects function differently against him, as noted below.
A magical attack that deals electricity damage slows Ghuralli (as the slow spell) for 3 rounds, with no saving throw.
A magical attack that deals fire damage breaks any slow effect Ghuralli is summering from and heals 1 point of damage for each 3 points of damage the attack would otherwise deal. If the amount of healing would cause Ghuralli to exceed his full normal hit points, he gains any excess as temporary hit points. For example: a fireball that would normal cause 18 points of fire damage strikes Ghuralli, instead he heals 6 points of damage. Ghuralli gets no saving throw against fire effects. Fire is also the only way Ghuralli can heal damage to his metal body, as he is immune to the effects of healing magic.

Athos69
10-13-2003, 06:44 PM
Glad I'm not playing in the Giantdowns! :)

Raesene Andu
10-13-2003, 10:48 PM
I see Ghuralli as an emerging power in the region. He has only just become and awnshegh, but already he has conquered two elven provinces and captured one from the Scarlet Baron. If he isn't stopped quickly he could soon overwhelm the giantdowns and forge a kingdom to rival at the very least the scarlet barony, and perhaps even the gorgon one day. Although if he went up against the gorgon now, Raesene would cut him to pieces (even with Ghuralli's metal body), who knows what the future will hold.

Ariadne
10-14-2003, 01:55 PM
Is Guralli your idea? I don't remember appearing him in several books. Otherwise thumb up...

Raesene Andu
10-14-2003, 02:17 PM
He is featured in the Rjurik Highlands expansion, and in the Kings of the Giantdown accessory. He is a new awnshegh who is it rumoured freed an imprisoned fiend and was granted with an indestrucable iron body. He recently captured two provinces from Lluabraight and is facing off against The Watch in the Giantdowns.

Ariadne
10-14-2003, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by Raesene Andu@Oct 14 2003, 03:17 PM
He is featured in the Rjurik Highlands expansion, and in the Kings of the Giantdown accessory. He is a new awnshegh who is it rumoured freed an imprisoned fiend and was granted with an indestrucable iron body. He recently captured two provinces from Lluabraight and is facing off against The Watch in the Giantdowns.
Ah OK. I'm not this familiar with the Rjurik Highlands...

Kalak
10-16-2003, 10:23 PM
What does "damage reduction 15/moraskorr" mean. What is moraskorr?

Fearless_Leader
10-16-2003, 10:43 PM
It's been a while since I read the specifics, but its found in the Player's Secrets of Baruk-Azhik. As far as I recall, its an extremely tough metal that only the dwarves can mine and smith.
The "DR 15/ moraskorr" is how damage reduction works in Edition 3.5. Using a Moraskorr weapon will allow you to bypass the DR.

Athos69
10-17-2003, 01:39 AM
Moraskorr = Adamantium

It is Dwarven name for it, as outside of the Dwarven halls, the metal is virtually unknown.

Raesene Andu
10-17-2003, 03:27 AM
Morskorr is an extremely rare ore found only in Baruk-Azhik

Morskorr is not the same as Adamanitine. (I know the BRCS say it is, but I'd like to see that changed.) Where Adamantine gives an enchantment bonus to weapons and armour. Morskorr gives a non-magical bonus to weapons - due to the unique properties of the ore, Morskorr is too difficult to forge into armour, even master dwarven smiths have difficultly forging weapons of this material and each weapon or object created is considered a masterpiece of dwarven craftsmanship while may be why they don't allow the other races to know of this ore.

kgauck
10-17-2003, 04:43 AM
----- Original Message -----

Sent: Thursday, October 16, 2003 10:27 PM

> Morskorr is not the same as Adamanitine. (I know the BRCS say it is,

> but I`d like to see that changed.)

I prefer to think of Morskorr as a process, not a metal. It may be the

specific alloy, its specific treatment, a crafting technique, but what it

comes down it is that the weapon created is a masterwork weapon.

Kenneth Gauck

kgauck@mchsi.com

Kalak
10-17-2003, 06:46 PM
I won&#39;t ask you what his weaknesses might be cause I (unlike some other lucky people here :D ) AM playing in your Giantdowns. I have the luck/curse of being the one that has to deal with that bastard but I won&#39;t abuse the info on moraskorr. As far as Hogrun is concerned he is made of metal. ;)

But I have to add: 2ed Ghuralli was significantly more mortal than his 3ed counterpart B)

Athos69
10-17-2003, 09:45 PM
Well Kalak, I have my own set of problems up in Hjolvar :)

The Jew
10-18-2003, 02:19 AM
I have some problems too, in Danigau. How can I increase my assets?

Raesene Andu
10-18-2003, 11:31 AM
One day I should finish writing my Player&#39;s Guide to Birthright PBeMs... :)

geeman
10-19-2003, 01:27 AM
Raesene Andu wrote:

>Morskorr is an extremely rare ore found only in Baruk-Azhik

>

>Morskorr is not the same as Adamanitine. (I know the BRCS say it is, but

>I`d like to see that changed.)

I agree. Making moraskorr adamantine is a bit pat for my tastes. In the

original BR materials the effects of moraskorr were different from the

effects of 2e adamantine, so making them equivalent in an update seems to

have missed the original intent.

At 10:55 PM 10/16/2003 -0500, Kenneth Gauck wrote:

> > Morskorr is not the same as Adamanitine. (I know the BRCS say it is,

> > but I`d like to see that changed.)

>

>I prefer to think of Morskorr as a process, not a metal. It may be the

>specific alloy, its specific treatment, a crafting technique, but what it

>comes down it is that the weapon created is a masterwork weapon.

Moraskorr is described as being more like an ore than a process--though, of

course, some new and difference processes are necessary to extract and work

different types of ore, so to a certain extent the distinction might be a

bit vague. In general, however, I usually think of tighmaevril as being

more of a process than an ore, if one were to put the two alloys on a scale

of "ingredient vs. technology" if such a thing makes sense.

Gary

Osprey
10-19-2003, 02:36 PM
It was mentioned that moraskorr adds a non-magical enhancement bonus to weapons, but is different than adamantine. Yet as I understand it, this is exactly what adamantine does&#33; So I still don&#39;t understand what the difference is in a mechanical sense. I understand that it can only be used for weapons, not armor.

But are we saying that the enhancement bonuses could actually stack with magical ones? That would make it different (and superior) to adamantine. Otherwise, the only real difference I&#39;ve seen so far is that it can penetrate this particular awnesheigh&#39;s damage reduction.

Any help?

Raesene Andu
10-19-2003, 03:03 PM
As I understand things, adamantine gives a magical bonus to weapons and armour and this bonus does not stack with any other enchantments. So a adamantine sword that is then given a +2 bonus due to magic, does not become a +4 weapons, it is still a +2 weapon (although I suppose it is a +2 adamantine and a +2 magical weapons and would over DR for both types). I suppose this could be similar to how Morskorr works, as both effects are due to the natural properties of the ore, not some enchantment.

In the original material, Morskorr only gave a bonus to damage, not to attack. I&#39;ve assumed this was due to the strength of the ore, which enabled the dwarves to sharpen it to a finer edge than mere steel. In a way, a bonus to damage makes a lot more sense than a bonus to attack.

Athos69
10-19-2003, 03:33 PM
Would a sharper edge not give you a bonus to hit, instead of a bonus to damage? The edge (or density for mass weapons) would be more likely to penetrate armours of inferior materials.

Osprey
10-19-2003, 03:36 PM
As I understand things, adamantine gives a magical bonus to weapons and armour and this bonus does not stack with any other enchantments. So a adamantine sword that is then given a +2 bonus due to magic, does not become a +4 weapons, it is still a +2 weapon (although I suppose it is a +2 adamantine and a +2 magical weapons and would over DR for both types). I suppose this could be similar to how Morskorr works, as both effects are due to the natural properties of the ore, not some enchantment.

No, adamantine gives a non-magical enhancement bonus, though it doesn&#39;t stack with magical bonuses. Its main advantage over magical items is that it retains this bonus even in anti-magic zones or when an item&#39;s magical bonuses would be suppressed (like through a Rod of Negation or Dispel Magic is used sucessfully).

So moraskorr would actually be inferior to adamantine, since it doesn&#39;t add an attack bonus.

Also, remember that attack bonuses DO represent sharpness (as do damage bonuses), because armor class is based largely on armor, not agility. So the ability to penetrate armor is partially represented by attack bonuses; damage bonuses represent actual damaging ability once an oppenent&#39;s armor has been penetrated.

This is why adamantine weapons add to attack and damage, but are limited to +1/2/3 depending on weapon size and mass. The upper levels are available only to enchanted items, which represents magical skill enhancement, cutting force, and evocative force/power (that&#39;s my interpretation, anyways).

So it makes sense that moraskorr really is an equivalent to adamantine in function, which is fine if adamantine doesn&#39;t exist in Cerilia. It would be kind of silly to have both things, exist, though, with redundant functions.

Now, if moraskorr&#39;s bonuses stacked with magical enhancements, that would be a different matter entirely, and make it much sought-after and potent. And given its rarity, this might not be too extreme if the natural enhancement bonus is only +1 or +2. You&#39;d just have to call it something other than an enhancement bonus to make it compatible with 3.x mechanics.

Also, while we&#39;re on the subject of special metals, does mithril exist in Cerilia? In the DMG, it&#39;s implied that both elves and dwarves fashion mithril armor (elven chain and dwarven plate). Would this hold true in Cerilia?

Personally, I love the qualities of mithril, and would be sad to see it missing in Cerilia. :(

The Jew
10-19-2003, 04:34 PM
adamantine has changed in 3.5, I like it better. It has 1/3 more hitpoints than steel and twice the hardness (20). Armour has damage reduction 1/- for light, 2/- for medium and 3/- for heavy. Weapons bypass the hardness of any weapon or item which has a hardness of less that 20. This along with an enhancement to the feat improved sunder make adamantine weapons extremely fearsome.

ConjurerDragon
10-20-2003, 03:33 PM
Osprey schrieb:

> This post was generated by the Birthright.net message forum.

> You can view the entire thread at:

> http://www.birthright.net/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=2&t=2010

>

> Osprey wrote:

>

>

> No, adamantine gives a non-magical enhancement bonus, though it doesn`t stack with magical

bonuses. Its main advantage over magical items is that it retains

this bonus even in anti-magic

zones or when an item`s magical bonuses would be suppressed (like

through a Rod of Negation or

Dispel Magic is used sucessfully).

> So moraskorr would actually be inferior to adamantine, since it doesn`t add an attack bonus.

> Also, remember that attack bonuses DO represent sharpness (as do damage bonuses), because

armor class is based largely on armor, not agility. So the ability to

penetrate armor is

partially represented by attack bonuses; damage bonuses represent actual

damaging ability once an

oppenent`s armor has been penetrated.

> This is why adamantine weapons add to attack and damage, but are limited to +1/2/3 depending

on weapon size and mass. The upper levels are available only to

enchanted items, which

epresents magical skill enhancement, cutting force, and evocative

force/power (that`s my

interpretation, anyways).

> So it makes sense that moraskorr really is an equivalent to adamantine in function, which is

fine if adamantine doesn`t exist in Cerilia. It would be kind of silly

to have both things,

exist, though, with redundant functions.

> Now, if moraskorr`s bonuses stacked with magical enhancements, that would be a

different matter entirely, and make it much sought-after and potent.

And given its rarity,

this might not be too extreme if the natural enhancement bonus is only

+1 or +2. You`d just

have to call it something other than an enhancement bonus to make it

compatible with 3.x

mechanics.

>

> Also, while we`re on the subject of special metals, does mithril exist in Cerilia? In the

DMG, it`s implied that both elves and dwarves fashion mithril armor

(elven chain and dwarven

plate). Would this hold true in Cerilia?

> Personally, I love the qualities of mithril, and would be sad to see it missing in Cerilia.

:(

And when talking about materials, don´t forget viikmer the material from

which Shadowstrike was forged (Dragon Magazin 241 p. 31 Chronicle of

Cerilia).

I personally find it strange that Mordaskorr can´t be made into anything

but weapons - after all the original dwarven bones are supposed to be

made from Mordaskorr and making a flat shield from a metal sounds for me

(who has not the least knowlegde about metallurgy) easier than forging a

blade with a cutting edge.

bye

Michael