PDA

View Full Version : character generation

faehew
12-29-2001, 05:21 PM
do you prefer rolling characters or using a point system. i like point system as it allows players to create character they have in mind. it also balances players in tha same group.

Lawgiver
12-30-2001, 03:08 AM
None of the above...
I don't like the point system proposed in the 3e rules much. Its a little to limited for my tastes.

For the most part it depends on the player. I let the veterans simply make a PC and then we tweek the things that aren't exactly 'balanced'. Very rarely do my players create outlandish charachters so this has worked fine. Though if the players are rookies I generally have them roll (4d6 keep the high three; roll six times and arrange the stats however you want).

Lord Eldred
12-31-2001, 01:58 AM
I usually have the players use the system that Lawgiver describes except when I am introducing a character into an already established group where they are going to be a higher level. Then sometimes I adjust to bring more balance to the campaign but they will still start out by using the same startup system.

Chaos Lord Arioch
01-19-2002, 04:28 AM
Using the point system think how strong the bloodline would be for a blind, one armed, no legged, alcoholic?
He's just asking for an assassin to stick a knife in his heart.
gatoraide for the wicked:)

brownie
01-19-2002, 04:58 AM
I have always preferrred to use the 4 D 6 method but instead of rolling 6 we roll 7 and drop the lowest.

brownie
01-19-2002, 04:59 AM
dont forget to reroll 1's and 2's.

Arlen Blaede
02-09-2002, 02:25 PM
I'm a fond believer in the roll 4 keep 3 method. With, of course, the reservation that I get to modify certain rolls to keep balance among players.

Strahd
02-09-2002, 08:31 PM
Orginally posted by brownie

dont forget to reroll 1's and 2's.
That REALLY boosts the average! Rerolling 1's and 2's in 3d6 gives an average of (some easy math) 13.5 instead of 10.5! If you reroll 1's and 2's in 4d6.... I imagine the average being well over 14! TOO powerful.
In my gaming group we roll 4d6 (keeping 3 out of 4) 7 times, then drop the lowest.
As for bloodlines... random generation combined with decent background (there must be some reason for that major bloodline!!) solves the issue quite well.

Lord Eldred
02-10-2002, 06:08 PM
I would have to agree that rerolling 1s and 2s is for power gamers and I am not really interested in that type of gaming!

Green Knight
02-11-2002, 01:43 PM
None of the above.

Let each player choose: Do I take the safe path and go with points or do I chance it with the dice...Do you feel lucky punk, do ya?

Arius Vistoon
02-12-2002, 11:45 AM
Orginally posted by Green Knight

None of the above.

Let each player choose: Do I take the safe path and go with points or do I chance it with the dice...Do you feel lucky punk, do ya?

i agree with you !!

Lord Valkyr
02-13-2002, 04:00 PM
after years of 2nd edition we finally decided 4d6 X7 drop lowest was fair & let the die land where it may for the blood....

Arch-Sorcerer Gargamel
02-18-2002, 02:05 AM
Rerolling ones is not too bad, its fun to let players use above average characters. Its up to the DM to prevent power gaming. Its the DMs fault if a player is too powerful just because he has high scores. Just because a player has higher than average scores doesn't mean that he is a power gamer.

The most important people in many settings have scores that are higher than average. If an NPC can do something, so can a player and vice versa. Its all role-playing, scores are just for resolution.

Green Knight
02-18-2002, 10:31 AM
Any system is good, as long as the players are happy and the DM is OK with the level of abilities.

Some player groups like high ability scores, others are comfortable with lower ones. Problems occur when the DM and the players have different ideas as to what represents an acceptable ability level for PC.

Green Knight
02-18-2002, 10:34 AM
If I have to roll, my favourite isthe 4d6 x6 w/floating re-roll, arrange as desired.

Gives lot of choice, and frequently some quite good scores, but most characters will still have one or two relatively weak areas well. Suits me.

Crazy Wolf
04-10-2002, 11:18 PM
I have done more than my share of power gaming and therefore have my players use points. Only a "former" munchkin can appreciate how players will try to break the system. I have one group that rolls and I have no problem with that but when I run I always give those sheets several looks.

Lawgiver
04-11-2002, 05:04 AM
I'm abnormal and basically say pick what you want for stats, but all stats are subject to DM discression. If I don't like it I change it. The PCs have descnet judgement and they get a character's closer to what they want, but my regulation is genreally fair enough to keep things balanced.

Chioran
04-11-2002, 12:35 PM
1. Roll 4d6 x 7
2. calculate the per die variance
3. given normal distribution determine probability of rolling above x_bar - variance call this value P
4. reroll all die below x_bar - variance P times
5. calculate x_bar raised to the power P
6. then using using x_bar for (a), variance for (B) and P for © calculate Y based on the quadratic equation
7. divide the answer from 5 by the answers in 6 and then...

what were we tryting to determine?

Green Knight
04-11-2002, 08:25 PM
The meaning of life. And the answer is 42!

Temujin
04-11-2002, 10:22 PM
It depends on the level of epic gaming we decide to do. Last game, where our characters were expected to live at high risk all the time, despite their initial low level, we gave 80+2d6 attributes points. A lot if you ask me, but well suited for the campaign. Normally though, its the 4d6 method, and you reroll the whole set of attribute once if you're not satisfied. This usually allows for decent but not over-powering characters.

Arlen Blaede
04-16-2002, 03:22 PM
Orginally posted by Chioran

1. Roll 4d6 x 7
3. given normal distribution determine probability of rolling above x_bar - variance call this value P
6. then using using x_bar for (a), variance for (B) and P for © calculate Y based on the quadratic equation

Just remember, when all else fails, del *.*

Then you can begin with a clean slate

Chioran
04-16-2002, 04:24 PM
Orginally posted by Arlen Blaede

Orginally posted by Chioran

1. Roll 4d6 x 7

Just remember, when all else fails, del *.*

Then you can begin with a clean slate

format c: /u is so much more permanent

Arlen Blaede
04-17-2002, 12:09 AM
Actually, to be honest, I have been often tempted to use the sledgehammer formula. :)

blitzmacher
04-17-2002, 11:25 PM
Won't that ruin your dice?

Chioran
04-18-2002, 12:55 AM
Orginally posted by blitzmacher

Won't that ruin your dice?

Only if they are too close. clear the field first then have at it.

Arlen Blaede
04-19-2002, 12:48 AM
No, just make sure you buy the high-impact dice. They act like shrapnel then.

Grinning like a pyro in a barn fire. :)