PDA

View Full Version : Shadow World Sources

morgramen
12-22-2001, 07:11 PM
Has anyone done anything with this idea?

Possible to use this energy upon Cerilia, or would it be tied to the Shadow World itself?

Personally, I think the Sword Mage at least, as some sort of SHadow World cache of goodies, though whether they are portable into the world of light is another matter.

Lawgiver
12-23-2001, 04:14 AM
I would think it is possible, but the results of tapping into them are extremely dangerous. (see the Secrets of Taurheivel). I would prefer to leave shadow world sources in the shadow world. Otherwise it would require an open shadow gate of some sort and most likely cause some sort of shadow rift... through which all sorts of nasties could enter Cerilia.... It would probably be a good adventure hook though.

Arch-Sorcerer Gargamel
12-24-2001, 10:23 PM
I've toyed with the idea. The shadow magic concept from the Forgotten Realms campaign setting is ripe for conversion and bestowal of some birthright flavor.

I've looked into this and am in the process of designing a possible class or prestige class to this effect. The idea of drawing energy from a "shadow world" also manifests itself in Dark Sun, where Necromancers draw from the Plane of Gray, and Shadow Wizards draw from the Plane of Black.

I'll post my designs in the future.

Magian
12-27-2001, 06:11 PM
I have had that idea sparked in my mind after I first read the description of el-sheighul in the Khinasi setting. I did post a question on the mailing list about it but no one had done anything on such a thing. My idea was if this wizard could gain some influence and a domain in Cerilia what is his domain like in the realm of the shadow.

I have not yet read the bloodspawn book so I am not sure what ideas are presented there, I probably wont like them anyway. All the outerplanar stuff printed I have not like yet, except some of the creature/planar being types.

I would probably allow sources from the shadow world. This idea comes from the falcon and the wolf novel that Richard (the king) Baker wrote.

Other than that I haven't thought much on the idea. I am not much on the 3E rules, and I definitely do not like the idea of prestige classes. Actually I love the idea and they are actually really cool, I just don't like the experience system in 3E at all.

Back to the point, I would be more than happy to brainstorm with you on this if you like.

Lord Eldred
12-28-2001, 03:18 AM
While I think it is possible, I would think it to be quite rare. Given that magic itself is rare, I would think that a shadow source would be the rarest of rare. (Quite pink I tell you!)

Bryon
01-03-2002, 03:24 PM
I know someone said that they did a conversion for Shadow Mages to Birthright. Can I get a point in the right direction?

I have to reread Shadow Mage in the FR book, but it does seem that since BR has so much to do with the Shadow it would fit in a very dangerous way.

Raesene Andu
01-05-2002, 10:27 PM
I am working on it at the moment, spent 2 hours last night typing up info. Here is the basic info. (The format is stuffed, but you can probably work it out).

Shadow Affinity gives the mage low-light visions and the shadow sight abilities of a halfling (spot SW portals, sense undead and necromantic magic)

Shadow Adept gives mage darkvision, shadow walk, plus additional bonues when in SW or near portal

Shadow Master gives mage shadow portal abilities, plus additional bonuses when in SW or near portal.

Shadow Lord gives mage shadow form abilities, plus powerful attack and defence abilities when in SW or near portal.

Level BAB FortSave RefSave WillSave Special ????????? Spells per Day ????????
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
1 +0 +0 +0 +2 Shadow Affinity 4 2 - - - - - - - -
2 +1 +1 +1 +3 5 3 - - - - - - - -
3 +1 +1 +1 +3 Shadow Familiar 5 3 2 - - - - - - -
4 +2 +1 +1 +4 5 4 3 - - - - - - -
5 +2 +2 +2 +4 Bonus Feat 5 4 3 2 - - - - - -
6 +3 +2 +2 +5 Shadow Adept 6 4 4 3 - - - - - -
7 +3 +2 +2 +5 6 5 4 3 2 - - - - -
8 +4 +3 +3 +6 6 5 4 4 3 - - - - -
9 +4 +3 +3 +6 6 5 5 4 3 2 - - - -
10 +5 +3 +3 +7 Bonus Feat 6 5 5 4 4 3 - - - -
11 +5 +4 +4 +7 7 6 5 5 4 3 2 - - -
12 +6/+1 +4 +4 +8 Shadow Master 7 6 5 5 4 4 3 - - -
13 +6/+1 +4 +4 +8 7 6 6 5 5 4 3 2 - -
14 +7/+2 +5 +5 +9 7 6 6 5 5 4 4 3 - -
15 +7/+2 +5 +5 +9 Bonus Feat 7 6 6 6 5 5 4 3 2 -
16 +8/+3 +5 +5 +10 7 7 6 6 5 5 4 4 3 -
17 +8/+3 +5 +5 +10 8 7 6 6 6 5 5 4 3 2
18 +9/+4 +6 +6 +11 Shadow Lord 8 7 7 6 6 5 5 4 4 3
19 +9/+4 +6 +6 +11 8 7 7 6 6 6 5 5 4 4
20 +10/+5 +6 +6 +12 Bonus Feat 8 7 7 7 6 6 5 5 5 5

Lord Eldred
01-06-2002, 03:34 PM
Raesene can you post this in the writer's guild under Birthright 3E with all the information about the class. I think lots of people would appreciate it!

Raesene Andu
01-07-2002, 07:04 AM
I intend on posting it as soon as I finish the description. I'm still working on the spell list and the actual class description, it might be done by the weekend.

Lord Eldred
01-08-2002, 01:54 AM
If only we all had more time...;)

I am looking forward to your contribution!

Eisel Miloh
01-08-2002, 02:20 PM
Orginally posted by Lawgiver

I would think it is possible, but the results of tapping into them are extremely dangerous. (see the Secrets of Taurheivel). I would prefer to leave shadow world sources in the shadow world. Otherwise it would require an open shadow gate of some sort and most likely cause some sort of shadow rift... through which all sorts of nasties could enter Cerilia.... It would probably be a good adventure hook though.

In a campaign last year, the one of the gates did open near Ilien (my party traveled through a portal in Taeghas to get there) There were unbelievable nasties and an epic battle involving many hundreds of folk. It took the sacrifice of the daughter of a minion of the cold rider and a human to close the gate once more.
Hmm, I have to get that story written up someday.

Lord Shaene
01-14-2002, 07:48 PM
Hmm..... Shadow Sources, sounds like something very interesting, I may have to look into that..... Thanks for the Idea.

Lord Eldred
01-16-2002, 03:10 AM
Haelyn worried about Lord Shaene's use of Shadow Sources quickly wipes that idea from his memory banks!

Arjan
01-16-2002, 06:45 PM
Siebharin the leach (sp?) is rumored to have sources or atleast have the know how to combine daylight and shadowworld sources.
when he casted the spell that vanished all the Sidhelien and part of the gorgons army in one province within a sec.
though it went a little wrong, and couldnt control both sources, so now the province has a very small barrier between daylight and SW

Vroman
02-03-2002, 01:27 AM
I've been toying with a shadow wizard prestige class as well. I've developed some background to support the idea. I'll post it to the writers guild. I wanted to note the page 44 of the Bloodspawn book makes reference to awnmebhaighl that is what spawned my line of thinking. Take a look under Awnmebhaighl and let me know what you think.

Green Knight
02-05-2002, 11:09 AM
Several regions in Cerilia has a closer connection to the Shadow World than most areas, Tuar Annw and The Raven's Domain both come to mind. Other areas certainly exist. Having illusion, enchantment and necromancy enchanced (and evocation + transmutation degraded) in theres areas could be an option, using the rules for shadow magic from FR. This would be applicable for both normal spells, battle magic and realm magic.

spehar
02-24-2002, 10:50 PM
I've given an awful lot of things in Birthright thought. This I can honestly say has never been one of them. In the world of shadow what would the sources pool around? An area of intenese necromancy? Strange magical occurences? I will have to give this some thought.

Lord Eldred
02-25-2002, 02:19 AM
The source power would come from the Shadow land just as in Cerilia the source power comes from the land.

spehar
02-25-2002, 12:59 PM
It's one thing for sources to come from ancient forests, rivers, impassable montains, an untravled river bed, its another to come from the desolate, gloomy world of shadow.

If you say it still comes from the land itself are sources on the world of shadow exactly where they are on Cerilia? The features in the world of shadow do parallel the same features on Cerilia. Are those features just more foreboding? It's an interesting question.

Certainly sources would be tide to the land somehow, but my thought process was questioning rather then pooling the natural land like on Cerilia, the energy on the world of shadow could get pooled to the land by acts necromancy and such.

Lord Eldred
02-26-2002, 12:07 AM
I believe they are located in the same places as Cerilia but they generate power for Necromancy spells and the like and don't power other types of spells.