PDA

View Full Version : Wiki integrated in forum

Arjan
10-23-2011, 05:44 PM
Apparently the conversion on the live server went 10 times faster then my localhost, so the new software is up and running.
I have also upgraded vbulletin, so also that one runs on the newest server.

I removed all the custom styles of the forum, so i can start with a clean basic layout in the near future. (i didnt want anything to interfere with the wiki install)

Most templates are loading, some still must undergo some maintenance. (for example the breadcrumb templates, they show red, but when you click on the link, it DOES take you to the page)

I have also integrated the grid960 system., this is a DIV based column stylesheet to replace tables (see http://960.gs/ for more info)
I am using a 24 column fluid grid here on birthright.net
so all "tables" made with the grid system will scale perfectly to every kind of screensize. ill try to post a small tutorial later, but it is very easy.. just give it a try or take a look at some of the templates already using it.

Please take a look at the newly installed wiki software, try to fix some things if you see them on your way.
If you doubt about something, either post in this threat or in the WIKI-discussion forum

Arjan
10-23-2011, 05:46 PM
oh and one feature is autolinking.. dont look strange if you use birthright related names or terms and they get autolinked to pages of the wiki.
just leave them be :)

Arjan
10-23-2011, 06:23 PM
the "old" wiki is still up for references. if some pages are somehow missing in the new one, you can always take a look at the old one.
http://www.birthright.net/brwiki

Sorontar
10-24-2011, 12:05 PM
Cool Arjan. While I realise that you probably still have lots of your hands finalising this, may I suggest

giving the us mods back our power so we can do things like protect key pages.
fixing/turning on redirects (can't get to the BRCS)
Getting lists to work? (cf http://www.birthright.net/forums/showwiki.php?title=Protected_pages

Is it possible to return to the double square brackets way of marking links in the wiki or do we always have to use wiki /wiki (in square brackets) tag? Also, note that some simple words like will now become wiki out-of-context in this forum.

Sorontar

adg
10-24-2011, 02:08 PM
Hello.

Iīm likely just blind, but I canīt seem to find where to search in the new wiki? On the old one it was on the left side, outside of the texts so to speak, but canīt find any on the new one.

Arjan
10-24-2011, 06:41 PM
Hello.

Iīm likely just blind, but I canīt seem to find where to search in the new wiki? On the old one it was on the left side, outside of the texts so to speak, but canīt find any on the new one.

just use the forum search on the right top :)

and if you want to search in the wiki pages only, click on the Advanced search below the search field, it will take you to this page: http://www.birthright.net/forums/search.php

check the box next to : Wiki Content Pages.. and voila

adg
10-24-2011, 06:46 PM
Yeah, well, you gotto log in for both of those, the best thing with the other search was you didnt haveto do that. For someone who sits at alot of different comps, and got security settings that dont allow autologin and such on some of them, thats a big anoyance;)

But I will I guess, :/. Propably not many who have those problems ;)

Arjan
10-24-2011, 06:53 PM
Cool Arjan. While I realise that you probably still have lots of your hands finalising this, may I suggest

giving the us mods back our power so we can do things like protect key pages.

ok, i havnt actually looked into the userrights :) my bad

fixing/turning on redirects (can't get to the BRCS)

by this you mean the breadcrumbs listed on top of all the BRCS pages?

Getting lists to work? (cf http://www.birthright.net/forums/showwiki.php?title=Protected_pages

There was on LIST closing tag, but a /redirect closing tag.. list are working fine :)

Is it possible to return to the double square brackets way of marking links in the wiki or do we always have to use wiki /wiki (in square brackets) tag?

no unfortunately not, but there is a button that embraces a word.. and not all words have to be tagged since we got autolinking

Also, note that some simple words like will now become wiki out-of-context in this forum.

Yes, i can put in words in the admin panel that will be ignored by autolinking.
Already put class in there since it was interfering with style classes in DIVs

just make a list of words that should be ignored.. (i can also put up a min of characters from which autolink will start, now is set to 4)

BRadmin
10-24-2011, 07:03 PM
Yeah, well, you gotto log in for both of those, the best thing with the other search was you didnt haveto do that. For someone who sits at alot of different comps, and got security settings that dont allow autologin and such on some of them, thats a big anoyance;)

But I will I guess, :/. Propably not many who have those problems ;)

in the past we had some issues with bots using the search and the site became unstable.. i therefore turned it off.
While is was editing some other userrights for the wiki, i turned it on again.. so you should be able to search again when not logged in

AndrewTall
10-24-2011, 09:21 PM
Hi Arjan

I just had a look at the Fanbased section indicies - Feats, Skills and abilities ; House rules ; Player tips; and Gurps Conversion all look to have lost their data...

Also a few pages have had the punctuation go funny with lots of question marks replacing comma's, apostraphe's, etc - any idea how to fix this easily? I'm thinking it may have been me posting stuff up in the wrong font...

Arjan
10-24-2011, 10:22 PM
Hi Arjan

I just had a look at the Fanbased section indicies - Feats, Skills and abilities ; House rules ; Player tips; and Gurps Conversion all look to have lost their data...

Also a few pages have had the punctuation go funny with lots of question marks replacing comma's, apostraphe's, etc - any idea how to fix this easily? I'm thinking it may have been me posting stuff up in the wrong font...

Yes it could be that some pages didnt make it through the conversion, thats why i left the old wiki up and running. so you can check that, and if needed copy and paste the content again..

the punctuation i really have no clue :)

Sorontar
10-25-2011, 06:19 AM
by this you mean the breadcrumbs listed on top of all the BRCS pages?

The following doesn't seem to want to redirect:
http://www.birthright.net/forums/showwiki.php?title=BIRTHRIGHT_Campaign_Setting

no unfortunately not, but there is a button that embraces a word.. and not all words have to be tagged since we got autolinking

:( I prefer to work directly with the code rather than use the buttons and writing the box wiki tags is going to make things slower, as is highlighting and pressing the button. Is there a way to nowiki a word anymore?

Yes, i can put in words in the admin panel that will be ignored by autolinking.
Already put class in there since it was interfering with style classes in DIVs
Cool, I guess we will quickly find a few more to add

Sorontar

Arjan
10-25-2011, 07:34 AM
The following doesn't seem to want to redirect:
http://www.birthright.net/forums/showwiki.php?title=BIRTHRIGHT_Campaign_Setting

the new wiki is less case sensitive, so some pages were overwritten by the conversion script itsefl. BIRTHRIGHT_Campaign_Setting and Birthright_Campaign_Setting are the same..
If you see things like that (redirects to itself) please check the old wiki for the original texts

:( I prefer to work directly with the code rather than use the buttons and writing the box wiki tags is going to make things slower, as is highlighting and pressing the button.
Sorontar
i agree its somewhat slower to place bb code.. ill see what i can do, i have some ideas but need to test it first.

BRadmin
10-25-2011, 03:24 PM
:( I prefer to work directly with the code rather than use the buttons and writing the box wiki tags is going to make things slower, as is highlighting and pressing the button.
Sorontar

quess you are in luck ;) i turned on the mediawiki legacy option again to see how it reacts on [[ and ]] with links.. and it seems to be working.. although i dont know if new links are going to be registered as links... guess we have to find out

Arjan
10-25-2011, 04:03 PM
i just "recovered" somewhat pages from the old wiki into the new one.
They got overwritten by its own redirect (the new wiki is less case sensitive, to treating page often the same)

anyway, they will need to be wikified to the new BB-code (something for a rainy sunday ;-)

BRCS:Chapter three/Magic/Magician Spells
Help:Contents/Additional Help
Anuirean empire
Basaia
Caracdír
Classes (Base and Prestige)
Court Level
Daylight world
Dragon Magazine
Dungeons and Dragons Edition 3.5
Fan Fiction
Gheallie sidhe
Gold Bar
Half-Elves
House Rules
Land's choice
Militant Order of Cuiraecen
Old Gods
PBeM
PBeM:Ruins of Empire
Player Tips
Redirect
Regency Point
Rjurik highlands
Stub
White_witch

AndrewTall
10-25-2011, 09:21 PM
hmm, the most likely over-write from capitalisation may well be the redirects - is there any easy way to pick them out to see any others that we may have lost?

Arjan
10-25-2011, 11:24 PM
hmm, the most likely over-write from capitalisation may well be the redirects - is there any easy way to pick them out to see any others that we may have lost?

i did, special pages, double redirects :)

Sorontar
10-26-2011, 04:22 AM
quess you are in luck ;) i turned on the mediawiki legacy option again to see how it reacts on [[ and ]] with links.. and it seems to be working.. although i dont know if new links are going to be registered as links... guess we have to find out

Great! But one page I found doesn't seem to recognise one existing link - http://www.birthright.net/forums/showwiki.php?title=Player_s_Handbook

Sorontar

Sorontar
10-27-2011, 12:31 AM
Is it possible to get the Recent (wiki) changes box for the index page for br.net?
ie. stuff that is on
http://www.birthright.net/forums/showwiki.php?title=Special:Recentchanges

Sorontar

BRadmin
10-27-2011, 08:22 AM
Is it possible to get the Recent (wiki) changes box for the index page for br.net?
ie. stuff that is on
http://www.birthright.net/forums/showwiki.php?title=Special:Recentchanges

Sorontar

currently not standard, only new pages are listed amongst the posts, since wiki articles ARE treated as post.
I see if i can write a module for VB-advanced to diplay recent changes as well.

Sorontar
10-27-2011, 11:33 PM
currently not standard, only new pages are listed amongst the posts, since wiki articles ARE treated as post.
I see if i can write a module for VB-advanced to diplay recent changes as well.
Ah, I see the complication. Well, do what you can. I just find it nice to have a link and a summary of recent wiki activity right there on the index page for br.net. Makes my daily review faster.

Sorontar

Nameless One
10-27-2011, 11:57 PM
It would be great if we could search the wiki without having to go to advanced search. I think it might work if you make a copy of the existing quick search form but add:

<input type="hidden" name="type[]" value="23">

inside the form.

Yeah, it does work. I tested it in Web Inspector :)

Arjan
10-28-2011, 07:29 AM
It would be great if we could search the wiki without having to go to advanced search. I think it might work if you make a copy of the existing quick search form but add:

inside the form.

Yeah, it does work. I tested it in Web Inspector :)

there used to be a searchbar on the BRCS and D20 main pages to search through the namespace alone.
I tested it with custom vbulletin code.. which did work.. BUT vbulletin search code work with a bunch of securities.. (secure_token)
it looks like: var SECURITYTOKEN = "1319786625-8148820860a7ca72db09839bc554e3da9ee1db10";
I entered the secure_token details in the code as well, but normally they are generated based on the user (plus rights)
so yes, it works when you are logged in and are using your own secure_token.. (dont know when the secure_token expires)
it may work with some tweeks..

ill probable have to write some kind of addon

BRadmin
10-28-2011, 12:52 PM

i finally managed to get the wiki-search working.. like i thought it wasnt so easy after all.. well it was once i knew how ;)
Had to install sidebar everywhere, edit the plugin to show on wikipages, then write a new sidebarblock template and then write some code to make everything work.
the value 23 turned out not to be working.. was getting no searches found.. while 1 and 3 were searching the forums
turned out it had to be :

<input name="contenttype" value="VaultWiki_VaultArticle" type="hidden">

anyway, have fun with it ;)

Nameless One
10-28-2011, 03:49 PM
Great. Some more feedback:

1)
Home page is showing only recent threads in the forum in the left column, while forum and wiki are both showing both active threads and active wiki articles. Now that I'm spamming the wiki, people who don't care about the wiki can't see recently active threads in the left column. Wouldn't it be more logical like this:
Home: Both recently active forum threads and recently added/edited wiki articles
Forum: Only recently active forum threads
Wiki: Only recently added/edited wiki articles.

Maybe it would be also interesting to have separate components for forum and wiki and see everything on every page that way. We made something like that here: http://www.springyarchiver.com/blog, with both blog and support using the same engine but still there are different components in the right column for each of them.

2)
Tables of contents are not working great on the wiki. tocleft works ok but it should really respect the contents so the we don't have part of the content to the right of the toc and another part below it. tocright doesn't seem to work at all in BRCS articles. Also, preview doesn't seem to work with toc templates.

Arjan
10-28-2011, 04:53 PM

2)
Tables of contents are not working great on the wiki. tocleft works ok but it should really respect the contents so the we don't have part of the content to the right of the toc and another part below it. tocright doesn't seem to work at all in BRCS articles. Also, preview doesn't seem to work with toc templates.

they work.. but when you use H1 for titles, the H1 creates a new section.. i e, closing the DIV..
so in order to use the floating tocleft or right.. you can only use h2 and below.

you mean if you go to Template:tocleft you can not preview the template?
or it doesnt render when you are editing your article?

Arjan
10-28-2011, 04:57 PM

1)
Home page is showing only recent threads in the forum in the left column, while forum and wiki are both showing both active threads and active wiki articles. Now that I'm spamming the wiki, people who don't care about the wiki can't see recently active threads in the left column. Wouldn't it be more logical like this:
Home: Both recently active forum threads and recently added/edited wiki articles
Forum: Only recently active forum threads
Wiki: Only recently added/edited wiki articles.

Maybe it would be also interesting to have separate components for forum and wiki and see everything on every page that way. We made something like that here: http://www.springyarchiver.com/blog, with both blog and support using the same engine but still there are different components in the right column for each of them.

splittng latest threads and latest wiki additions is no problem..
but i am also working on a recently changed module.. to display new pages AND latest edits.. once i got that thehy can be seperated. now, In the forum threads are only newly created pages being displayed

BRadmin
10-28-2011, 10:33 PM
Recently changed sidebar has been added to the WIKI page.
(carajo... that was a hell of a job!)

Its not totally perfect (no link to edit differences) but it filters on unique pages that have been created of edited.
Since the database query was really a pain the ass (9 left joins and 1 inner join).. and very server intensive, i have put the template cache on 60 minutes (refresh rate)

the latest threads on the fromtpage also show wiki entries, BUT those are only the newly created ones.. not based on edits

BRadmin
10-31-2011, 01:41 PM
apparently the query was a little overdone.. it was sucking up the whole mem of the server.
Flip rebooted the server and i rerwote the query for the latest wiki changes.
(should be ok now)

Sorontar
10-31-2011, 11:34 PM
The wiki search search results are a little wierd for a wiki. If I search for "western", the first 10+ entries it suggests must be purely based on their content, not their titles. The wiki page for Western Coast doesn't come up until halfway down the first page of suggested links. Can you change it so that the content of the titles is more heavily weighted than the article content?

Sorontar

Sorontar
11-01-2011, 04:50 AM
New bug. If you try to click on any of the wiki links on the Recent Threads box, the address has too many http://www.birthright.net s.

Sorontar

Arjan
11-01-2011, 09:27 AM
New bug. If you try to click on any of the wiki links on the Recent Threads box, the address has too many http://www.birthright.net s.

Sorontar

yup, just noticed it myself as well, removed the wiki forums from the recent threads since we have the recent wiki changes

Arjan
11-01-2011, 09:28 AM
The wiki search search results are a little wierd for a wiki. If I search for "western", the first 10+ entries it suggests must be purely based on their content, not their titles. The wiki page for Western Coast doesn't come up until halfway down the first page of suggested links. Can you change it so that the content of the titles is more heavily weighted than the article content?

Sorontar

I cant really modify the query, but the searchbox now has a checkbox to search in titles only

BRadmin
11-02-2011, 10:57 PM
mysql and apache went nuts the last few days.. i cant really put my finger on why..
Flip tuned the server and i disabled some things again
- wiki recent changes sidebar
- search for non-registered visitors
- banned baidu crawler
- some performance settings

ill keep a close watch on things.. hopefully it will stay up for a while again

Sorontar
11-03-2011, 04:44 AM
I tried to make Atlas of Cerilia into a redirect to Atlas, but it told me that I needed at least 10 characters on the page.

Sorontar

BRadmin
11-03-2011, 08:38 AM
I tried to make Atlas of Cerilia into a redirect to Atlas, but it told me that I needed at least 10 characters on the page.

Sorontar

lowered it to 5

Sorontar
11-04-2011, 09:31 AM
Is there a way to see which pages or articles link to which wiki pages? This seems to be absent.

Sorontar

BRadmin
11-04-2011, 10:54 AM
Is there a way to see which pages or articles link to which wiki pages? This seems to be absent.

Sorontar

Next to each page title there is a little triangle image, when you click on that a pop up will show with:
Hide all sections
Show all sections
What links here
This pages broken links
Report this page

is that what you are looking for?

Sorontar
11-04-2011, 11:02 AM
Next to each page title there is a little triangle image, when you click on that a pop up will show with:

Ah, that's it. Thanks.

Sorontar
11-04-2011, 11:03 AM
quick reply seems to be repeating my posts... sometimes (this was a quick reply)

BRadmin
11-04-2011, 11:11 AM
one side note on "what links here"
I have noticed that once a page on which the link is has NOT been clicked yet, it wont show up in the what links here list.

you see what i mean if you go to http://www.birthright.net/forums/showwiki.php?title=Special:Wantedpages
the top one is SPOT with 324 links, but when you click on it, it only shows 5 links.. the remaining 319 are somehow not activated yet. (i have created an issue for this)

BRadmin
11-05-2011, 11:16 AM
imported missing redirects (approx 3000)
also made sure the linkt table was updated for those as well, so they are not listed in the wanted page any more and have the proper what links here list.