PDA

View Full Version : Blood Abilities

Dienekes
11-07-2001, 07:00 PM
Im working on a total conversion of the blood abilities, Im going to do it and then post them all here when Im done to see what you guys think. Im sure that several of them will be slightly overpowerful, that is why I want your insight, help me to balance them and then you can see what Ive done aswell.

Also, at the same time I will post how I am planning on doing blood abilities, Im not entirely certain yet (a feat most likely "Blood of Kings" or something rather that you have to take at first level, unless your character is young, then I might allow them to take it later, around puberty hehe) Role randomly for Strength *Tainted, Minor, Major, Great*, then that places you on my custom Blood Meter thingy, anyway, Ill have to show you what its like when I think its ready. Im getting rid of the Strength # for mine though.

Example of Blood Ability:

Courage – Minor, Major, Great
Anduiras
Minor: Automatically pass fear related Will rolls, unless character would normally not be allowed a roll, he now gets a roll.
Major: All Allies within 10’ receive effect.
Great: All Allies within 100’ receive effect.

So far Heightened Ability is a bit overpowerful, maybe. But I DO like it this way so far :)

Heightened Ability – Major
All Except Masela
If ability is 14 or below than it is raised to 15 and continue, If the Ability is 15 or Higher Roll:
15-16 rolls 1d8
17-18 rolls 1d6
19+ rolls 1d4
Anduiras – Charisma or Strength
Basaia – Intelligence
Brenna – Dexterity
Reynir – Constitution
Vorynn – Wisdom
Azrai – Charisma or Intelligence

Raesene Andu
11-09-2001, 11:53 PM
I will be interested in reading your work, although I will point out that I have yet to see a 3E conversion that has convinced me to chage the bloodline rules. That said, some of the abilities do need changing to fit the 3E rules and I will be very interested in reading your ideas.

Oh, and in regard to Heightened ability. It is fairly powerful, but comparing it to other minor abilities it has about the same power. In my experience most people use it to raise the score of one of their more powerful abilities (dex from 18-19 etc) rather than to increase their lower ability scores (int of 10 to 11-16 etc).

Temujin
11-21-2001, 01:50 AM
I used to make my players roll a 6-sided dice anyway, than take the better of two results: 14+d6 or x+1 with x being their current scores. I always found it inconsistent that someone with 14 could rise to 20 in his attribute if he rolled well, yet someone with 15 could only raise to 16.

Quintain
11-28-2001, 09:33 PM
Since the 3e paradigm of ability scores doesn't reflect the racial ability maximums of the 2ed system, I think that the heightened ability power should reflect what essentially is a permenant ability score increase ala the 2nd level wizard spells that give the same effect temporarily. I don't have my books handy, so I can't give you the exact names.

That way you have the same system for all ability scores instead of an arbitrary break where the method changes.

Temujin
11-30-2001, 10:44 PM
I'll have to think about it a bit, since in 3E different bonuses stack and different bonuses don't. But on first sight, it sounds appropriate.

Shieldhaven
12-23-2001, 09:17 AM
Altering ability scores has much less meaning in 3e than it did in 2e. Characters gain ability points during play, every 4 levels. Spells can increase your ability scores significantly for a lengthy duration (Bull's Strength, Cat's Grace, Endurance, Fox's Cunning, Owl's Wisdom, Eagle's Splendor). I'd say to treat Heightened Ability like an inherent bonus (just like what you gain from a wish or the like). I'd standardize it to +2, but if it must be variable, d4+1 seems like the obvious choice to me.

Shieldhaven

Riegan Swordwraith
12-23-2001, 03:31 PM
I have a thought on the 2E-3E conversion to BR.

I like most of what Travis Doom did but the ability score thing I do not like.I do not beleive Regents should be punished for an accident of birth.But you cannot just let them run amok with blood abilities and no drawbacks.It screws up balance.But I remember looking at another conversion where the guy uses templates and ECL(effective character level),to bring balance.However his templates to me really weren't that great.But I think the ECL would work.However I am in a dilemma,should the strength(Minor,Major,Great,etc.) be what determines the ECL,or the number of powers??Or better yet,a kind of point system wherein a minor power is worth one point,major two points,and great three points,and based on your total "power" points determines your ECL.

What yas think????

blitzmacher
12-24-2001, 05:45 PM
Getting the heightened ability may seem like it has less meaning, but in Birthright you can keep track of time alot easier then in any other campaign, which means you can watch characters age and the effects that come with it i.e. lose ability scores due to age.