PDA

View Full Version : Birthright Timeline

Arch-Sorcerer Gargamel
12-17-2001, 07:54 AM
I think the timeline should be advanced in the setting a few years or so. This would allow the creation of new Player's and DM's secrets that don't require the old ones. 3e gives the perfect chance/excuse to do this because of the rule shifts.

A few new rulers, split realms, new awnshegh, or other intrigues and events could really spice up the continent.

Maybe I'm just a big fan of dynamic campaigns. Of course this would require delicate arbitration from the people in charge. I greatly dislike things that distinctly remove balance from the game (such as munchkinism).

Yak
12-17-2001, 05:29 PM
I once made a campaign setting for Cerilia after my last epic campaign I ran. It turned out ok, but I too would like to see something of a different timeline.

Lawgiver
12-18-2001, 03:23 AM
Why set it in the future... why not set it in the period withint 5 years of Michael Roele's death when the origin of the chaos would be at its beginning.

Magian
12-27-2001, 06:22 PM
In my tiny little world, it would be ideal if there would be era settings for birthright. Just after Deismaar, the age of empire; various imperial ages during the empire's reign; the acclaimed war of succession; the MR years just after Mike's downfall; and many other historical eras to play in.

The advancing of Cerilia in my opinion is not my favorite idea. I think where the campaign starts out is 'the future' of the campaign, the new age where all hangs in the balance and the choices of the movers and shakers will decided it all.

I guess to me there needs a bit more explanation to advance or retrace a setting. I think I do understand where you are coming from when you bring this about in the publishing standpoint so that you have a whole list of products to print and sell, but boy oh boy if you only knew the list that is already lacking from the Cerilia-based setting that I have made myself this advancing would seem like an excuse to resell the same products. Off the top of my head I remember 18+ products that they left out of the 2E game.

Arch-Sorcerer Gargamel
12-27-2001, 11:33 PM
I'm really not interested in profit, that would most likely infringe on Wotc's property rights. I was more interested in changing things around, that way, if anything official does come into being, it would less likely step on the toes of anything they have already published.

I'm not terribly hurt by the fact that I'm the only one who feels this way, and I see the logic in all the other arguments. I would mostly just like to see how campaigns would be different 50 or so years down the road.

Lord Eldred
12-27-2001, 11:50 PM
You could always start writing it yourself and start posting ideas here on the board running it by people. There is nothing wrong with wanting to set it in the future.

Lawgiver
12-28-2001, 04:03 AM
We have a rule where I'm from. He that requests the changes leads the committee!
Gargamel--Get busy writing pal. ;)

Arch-Sorcerer Gargamel
12-28-2001, 02:41 PM
Well, it appears that I've been called out.

It will be done.