PDA

View Full Version : Would anyone be interested in a Dice Roller Program if I wrote a desce

Lawgiver
12-15-2001, 06:57 AM
It would basically be a small Windows application (random number generator) that would let you roll dice without dice...

morgramen
12-15-2001, 04:10 PM
I have just started my PBeM, and am planning on having the players use a message baord to post their war moves on (using the standard war card rules). It is my hope that this will function like a sort of online chess game.

(Infantry move from A1 - B2). A dice roller that could email the results would be great! That way the players simply email each roll to the other, which keeps them honest, and keeps the DM from having to do any of the work. :)

Lord Eldred
12-16-2001, 01:57 AM
I believe that rolling the dice is part of the fun of the game and to have the computer do it for you just isn't the same. However, I am sure it is useful for some people, I just wouldn't use it.

Xander
12-16-2001, 03:54 AM
I have a copy of said dice roller... it is the best dice roller I have ever seen. It will only be that much better if the changes we discussed are finished.;)

Lawgiver
12-16-2001, 03:57 AM
Thanks Xander. (flattery will get you know where... unless you're just really good at it!) I have the beta version if anyone's interested... I may finish it in the next couple of days and send the final to arjan.

Lawgiver
12-16-2001, 05:39 AM
Orginally posted by Lord Eldred
I believe that rolling the dice is part of the fun of the game and to have the computer do it for you just isn't the same.
I know what you mean. about the idea of real dice. I will Most likely only use it if playing online or running my PBeM. If it makes you feel any better its got pictures of the various dice types... I'm in the process of altering it so that the pics shift when you 'roll' to give it a more realistic 'feeling'...

Lawgiver
12-16-2001, 06:23 AM
Orginally posted by morgramen
A dice roller that could email the results would be great! That way the players simply email each roll to the other, which keeps them honest, and keeps the DM from having to do any of the work. :)

There is one already available at http://www.irony.com/ (saves me the work of that nasty portion of the software!). I would like to avoid something that interfaces with the internet, at least directly. Something that generated files to emailing then importing them yes... direct link to the internet... no. I don't have enough experience in that area yet!

Raesene Andu
12-18-2001, 06:24 AM
I already have a small java dice rolling program, just 7K in size, one my brother wrote for me a year or two ago. It can generate any compinations of die, with +'s and -'s. Very useful for those 10d8+10 type rolls.

It is only a very simple program, but one that I use all the time.

Lawgiver
12-19-2001, 04:46 AM
The initial version without the full graphical animations is available for download in a zipped format on my website Lawgiver's Chambers (http://fan_of_enoch.tripod.com) --> Downloads section. Let me know what you think!

Princess Emerald Greybear
01-22-2002, 06:37 PM
based solely on curiosity I'll probably check it out, however I can't seem to break away from my emerald colored dice.. hehehe

Xerath
01-24-2002, 11:59 PM
I can always use more dice (virtual dice & other).

Lawgiver
01-25-2002, 12:40 AM
Orginally posted by Princess Emerald Greybeard
based solely on curiosity I'll probably check it out, however I can't seem to break away from my emerald colored dice.. hehehe

My fair princess, [bowing deeply] if you would forward me your email address I have a custom dice roller specifically tailored for you...

02-01-2002, 12:00 AM
*blushing* you are too kind! My email address is Alyxus@hotmail.com.

Lawgiver
02-01-2002, 03:32 AM
Orginally posted by Princess Emerald Greybeard

*blushing* you are too kind! My email address is Alyxus@hotmail.com.

I have delivered the gift.

Eisel Miloh
02-01-2002, 05:55 PM
decent dice roller for my pbems - but the one at Irony has been down for awhile. I'd love to give yours a try out!

02-01-2002, 06:43 PM
I honestly don't know what to say other than I thank thee for thy kind gift.