PDA

View Full Version : More deep thoughts by Lawgiver...

Lawgiver
12-13-2001, 04:52 AM
If one has a natural Magic resistence are you resistent only to offensive spells or to friendly/aid spells as well?

Is it something you can 'turn on and off' at will or is that simply 'the way it works'?

Magian
12-13-2001, 05:36 AM
Since I don't know how to add my inputs to the poll I will just answer here.

Initially I don't care.

Then after some thought it is up to the DM of the campaign and perhaps even the MR itself since I am sure there are more than one type.

Finally I still don't care.

Riegan Swordwraith
12-13-2001, 07:00 AM
To me,to be true to what magic resistance is,it should work on both beneficial and harmful magic.I mean look at the name:Magic Resistance,resistant to magic,good and bad.

That is the way I always ruled anyways......

Lord Eldred
12-13-2001, 12:40 PM
While in theory it should probably work on both, in my campaign we have never played that way. I think it is meant as a defensive ability thus we always assumed it was only for attacking spells.

Lawgiver
12-13-2001, 12:46 PM
Orginally posted by Magian

Since I don't know how to add my inputs to the poll I will just answer here.

Good thing you don't live in Florida or I'd hammer you...

Click the dot next to the selection... then press vote (the little button under the poll.) The extra button for 'vote' is there for indecisive people or those who click on the wrong dot initially. I'm hoping its not that simple and that maybe your browser doesn't work with the polling options.

Lord Shaene
12-14-2001, 12:52 PM
My thoughts are it works on both, but that if an ally wants to cast a beneficial spell on you, then you should have the option to willingly recieve the spell i.e. (let your own defenses down). well thats just my take on it.

Lord Shaene

Temujin
12-15-2001, 04:15 AM
In 2nd edition, it worked this way: only offensive/harmful spells would be affected by magic resistance unless it was specified that the monster or character was equally resistant to both; which was a rare occurance but there were a few monsters in the monstrous manual where it was specified. I may be wrong, but I tend to think it works this way in 3rd edition as well.

Lawgiver
12-15-2001, 04:35 AM
I know thats the way it works... but does it make sense?

Lord Eldred
12-16-2001, 01:37 AM
I think it does make sense if you look at it the way Lord Shaene explains it. You choose to let your defenses down to accept the spells that are beneficial to you. Although I think you would have to actively do this or you would be resistant to the spell.

Yak
12-16-2001, 05:30 AM
It doesn't sad Bad Magic Resistance... just Magic Resistance. Magic resistance is something you can control you just are. Other answers may make power players happy. but it isn't in the spirit of the rule, IMO, but hey I am more strict then most people because my players liked an element of danger in their games and expect fairness from me.

Riegan Swordwraith
12-16-2001, 06:24 AM
I have a problem with the whole control issue.If you can control your MR,shouldn't you also be aware that a harmful or beneficial spell is being cast?If you can control it,can you be caught by surprise?How do you know if it is a beneficial spell.

To me it just brings up more questions.

Lawgiver
12-16-2001, 12:53 PM
Reigan: I agree completely. Either say its offensive spells only or make it work on both. I vote both!

Riegan Swordwraith
12-16-2001, 05:45 PM
YEAH!!!! Me too!!!!!!:)

Lord Eldred
12-27-2001, 11:40 PM
I think if you have magic resistance that you would feel the nature of the spell being used on you. I do think that you can let your guard down and allow the good spells to help you. And yes I definately think you can be caught by surprise. If you don't know that the spell is being cast and you are in the middle of battle and you start to feel a spell of any nature I think you would automatically resist it. The only way you would probably let your guard down is if you knew in advance that the spell is coming. One drawback however is if your opponent cast an offensive spell at the same time, you would not be able to resist it while your guard is down.

If none of this makes sense, I vote it works on both although I haven't yet played that way!

brownie
01-13-2002, 03:51 AM
The way we play is that you have announce when it is on and off. We have allowed it to be on and off for buddy spells but when traveling or anything like that in the morning before we move out the dm asks what is going to be cast in advance for the day or time peiods. But the reason we do it that way is because we use the spell point system.i did not like it for a while but it is alot more benefitial in a random combat.

Lord Eldred
01-13-2002, 01:42 PM
Brownie, what is this spell point system you speak of? I don't think I am familiar with it.

brownie
01-14-2002, 12:48 AM
Spell points is instead of picking specific spells you look at how many spell you can use of a certain level. Such as if you can cast 5 1st level spells then that is 5 spell points. and so on. It is easier to use when using the feats suck as maximize and other metamagic feats.

Lord Eldred
01-14-2002, 02:04 AM
Does that mean you can cast any spell you want from those levels or just ones in the spell book or do you memorize like normal? How does it work?

brownie
01-15-2002, 12:49 AM
You can only cast the spells you know. IT is the same. You still have to study and can only cast the spells that you know.

Sellenus
01-15-2002, 01:26 PM
we've always ruled that it works against all magic. Hench the name...

Lord Eldred
01-16-2002, 02:20 AM
When something becomes antibiotic resistant, scientist develop new antibiotics to kill it. So just because there is the name magic resistant, doesn't mean all magic. Just like antibiotic resistant doesn't mean all antibiotics!

Sellenus
01-16-2002, 03:28 PM
Fair enough Lord Eldred...

But as far as 3rd ed:

Spell resistance (No Magic Resistance in 3rd ed) prevents a spell or spell-like ability from AFFECTING OR HARMING the resistant creature... (dmg 83)

We've gone by affecting as the key word, since it is written seperate from harming in the rule.

However,

A creature can voluntarily lower its spell resistance. Doing so is a standard ation that does not provoke an attack of opportunity. Once a creature lowers its resistance, it remains down until the creature's next turn... (dmg 82)

We've ruled that you can lower your resistance to receive a beneficial spell, but you leave yourself open to harmful spells until your next turn as well.

Lawgiver
01-18-2002, 03:32 AM
Orginally posted by Lord Eldred
When something becomes antibiotic resistant, scientist develop new antibiotics to kill it. So just because there is the name magic resistant, doesn't mean all magic. Just like antibiotic resistant doesn't mean all antibiotics!

Thus 40% resistence means 60% of the time the spells still get ya!

Arlen Blaede
01-25-2002, 08:18 PM
got it right on the nose. No magic can freely pass through unless the possessor of the spell resistance drops his/her/its guard. Then they are open until they have another action with which to raise their defenses.

Lord Eldred
02-10-2002, 06:27 PM
I like that interpretation because it allows for the good spells to still have affect if it is wanted! I also like how during that time you are vulnerable to harmful spells.

Cool.