PDA

View Full Version : Source Rating in the Careine province of the Chimaeron

monkey
12-11-2001, 05:43 AM
I've recently started a campaign based in coeranys, and I've noticed something odd. The map seems to imply that the terrain in Careine, based in the Chimaeron, is either hills or mountains, but the province/source rating is listed as 2/6. Wthout being an elven domain, how is this possible?

Lawgiver
12-11-2001, 12:33 PM
I would have called it plains,hills, and mountains ((5+5+9)/3 = 6.33) rounded to 6...2 of them are lost for the province level. Leaving a source of 4.

Lord Eldred
12-12-2001, 12:26 AM
WHich doesn't match what the book says Lawgiver. What is up with that?

Lawgiver
12-12-2001, 12:35 AM
Well it depends on how far you strecth the rules and which portion you strecth.

Quoting (emphasis added): 'Each Terrain type has SPECIFIC magic potential. The sum of the level of a province and the levels of the sources within it USUALLY CANNOT EXCEED the magic potential of the terrain...'

SPECIFC = fixed number.
USUALLY CANNOT EXCEED = it may under certain circumstance...

The part about the caves under the plains grants a bonus. So does my forest/plains average. 5+ 7 = 12/2 = 6.

So what's wrong with my reasoning?

Magian
12-12-2001, 06:53 AM
Oh hogwash every wizard worth his bloodline knows a dragon's den is in the province, hence the high level.

Lawgiver
12-12-2001, 01:18 PM
Dragon... oh is that all. In that case you get his attention and I'll sneak up behind him and slay the beast.

morgramen
12-13-2001, 12:29 AM
I agree that it is due to the intesnse magic of the region. There are always exceptions to the rules (that what keeps it interesting!)

I have always thought of the Chimaeron as being some sort of 'focal point' of mebhaigle. The magic seems unaturally strong here. Perhaps it is the stones of the mountains (the Moraskor of the Iron Peaks perhaps?) or perhaps it is the chimaeron itself that magnifies the magic potnetials of the land. Who can say for sure?

There must be some reason why a group of wizards (3 Brother Mages) has gathered in the region after all.

Temujin
12-13-2001, 01:02 AM
Ancient Mountains(such as the Iron Peaks = Chimaeron) have a standard source level of 8 or 9, don't they?

Lawgiver
12-14-2001, 03:02 AM
I'd agree with the 8 or 9. The only thing of great revelance in the Chimaeron is the road to the Khinasi realms. Its little more than a border crossing/waystation. The Chimaera doesn't like visitors, trading caravans are allowed to pass through but are taxed. The road wraps south around the mountains, not through their heart. So the mountains are largely undisturbed.

Master Dao Rin
01-25-2002, 05:20 AM
Swampland is also an 8. Doesn't it say that most of Coeranys consist of marsh and wetlands? It could be an old extension of Ruorven's provincial swamp ... ?

Green Knight
02-05-2002, 11:14 AM
The rules are not absolute. there are several suggestions presented in the BR material that allows for individual adaptations: a magical calaclysm could reduce the max source level, a strange cave could enhance it etc.

Also, remember that when provinces are pillaged, sources use 1 year (next spring) to recover 1 level.

Lord Valkyr
02-13-2002, 05:17 PM
I think there was a reference in the abominations expansion/sourcebook on how she was drawn to the area before her transformation. mebbe something is there that the publishers never got to publish....... what if that dragon torched their printing press.... didnt think of that DID YA! :)