PDA

View Full Version : The IRON THRONE

TheChamberlain
12-10-2001, 02:09 PM
Does anyone have any info on this artifact: History, Powers, lastknown whereabouts etc etc or indeed if it even exists!!!!

I know if anyone should know, its me but.....

Lord Eldred
12-12-2001, 12:06 AM
I am pretty sure it exits. I thought I read it somewhere I will start looking through my books to see where I saw it!

Magian
12-12-2001, 06:47 AM
Yeah its that really big heavy chair that Calidhe Dosiere sits below in the hall of regents and it hasn't moved in over a 1000 years cause it's too big and is made of iron. ;)

Lawgiver
12-12-2001, 01:25 PM
(you know maybe that Magian fellow isn't as bad as I thought) I was going to be a smart butt, but looks like the Magain took my role.

Does the throne have a padded cushion or is the emporer supposed to just sit his butt on a plate of iron and deal with it?

TheChamberlain
12-12-2001, 02:30 PM
I see!!!! American humour and wit.

I had the stupid impression that this was the best site for Birthright related resource...

It appears i was wrong.......

morgramen
12-13-2001, 12:24 AM
Easy there Good Chamberlain.
Unless I read your post wrong (which is entirely possible), you seem a bit miffed about the responses you got. Keep in mind that this was all meant in good humour - Birthright players tend to be very knowledgable and the posts are beyond excellence, but they also tend to develop a rather spry sense of humour in my experience. (Perhaps it comes with the weight and stress of administering the politics of an entire continent!!) :)

Ask your questions, post your opinions, and have fun!! That's the entire point of this site IMO. If it's not fun, then it's not worth doing. (That's what work is for.) ;)

Abbess Allessandra
12-13-2001, 12:40 AM
Have you read the novel? "The Iron Throne"
I have not finished it yet but my guess is at the end something is mentioned. Lord Eldred do you recall?

Lord Eldred
12-13-2001, 01:43 AM
It may have been there that I read that it provides certain powers but I am not sure and I haven't found reference to it yet. I think we owe it to the Chamberlain to find the answer however (Magian and Lawgiver should help find it too!)

Temujin
12-13-2001, 02:24 AM
Nothing special about it, its just a throne of iron. Why should it be an artifact really, or even magical? It has enough power in its symbol to really need anything else.

Lawgiver
12-13-2001, 04:36 AM
I must agree with Temujin that it is more symbolic than magical. I've never seen anything stating otherwise. At best I would allow it to give a regent an extra Domain Action or 2-3 extra henchmen to help rule the empire.

Magian
12-13-2001, 05:15 AM
It is not in the novels and from the sources that I have read it is not magical. The only thing I haven't read yet is the bloodspawn book.

Lawgiver,

The Emperor can sit on the throne with his armor that should be all he needs if he is worthy of being emperor at all. Heh... a final test to become emperor, how long can he sit upon the throne.

I envision the Iron Throne as a solid black throne shaped on a huge iron block. Pretty nonchalant and bland really. The power it truly has is over the people of Anuire, nothing more.

There may have been a web source that made something up for it however and any new ideas that come from this I would like to hear.

Chamberlain,

Just because my sense of humor does not mix with your mood or reason for reading this forum does not mean I meant to anger you in any way. It does not give you good grace to label us Americans in such a demeaning way.

Lawgiver
12-13-2001, 05:26 AM
Chamberlain,

Forgive my rotting friend for his inability to apologize without giving a returning blow.

What he is trying to say is...We meant no offense. We were merely attempting to lighten the mood.

If you have ever encountered some description of the Iron Throne as something other than symbolic it must have been ona website or other source. I don't think its documented anywhere in the offical BR stuff.

TheChamberlain
12-13-2001, 09:30 AM
I think ive enough leads to follow, thanks for your input. As for lawgiver and friend, no problem guys, and no offence intended to our cousins across the pond (usa).....sadly its a common fact, that on most forums to get one straight answer you have to wade through post upon post of "Fun replies". It just gets abit boring at times.

As for the throne, I fully understand the thrones symbolism and what it stands for.....as my own nation swears to die for a bloody Crown! ....but i was hoping that somewhere in the archives, that it may be more than just a cast iron throne. Its just hard to believe that an item of such Imperial & cultural importance is nothing more than a chair (materially). Surely at the time of casting the Anuire was emerging as a real power in Cerilia and with that in mind like the Romans, anything made of importance was a statement of that power! inbued with Divine blessings and hence making this throne more than just a chair........

what do you think.....?

Lawgiver
12-13-2001, 12:33 PM
Orginally posted by TheChamberlain
...as my own nation swears to die for a bloody Crown!

I doubt they died for the chair. Its the power and influence of the position. The physical throne itself had nothing to do with.

My attempt:
The Iron Throne
-Grants the user 1 extra domain action per Domain turn
-Increases the character's leadership attribute (subscore of Charisma) by 2
-grants the user a +2 success modifier to Agitate, Contest, Create Holding, Diplomacy, Investiture domain actions.
-grants the user a +4 success modifier to Decree and Rule domain actions
-The regent is granted an extra set of bodyguards. Reroll for a second set on Table 4; page 10 of the rulebook.

Opinions?

TheChamberlain
12-13-2001, 01:02 PM
They seem reasonable........for a Duchy, Baroney or Kingdom.....but an Empire! umm im not sure.

Hopfully the user by then should have by fair means or foul gained the title of Emperor, no mean feat i hope you agree. Thus qualifying them to use such an item of imperial power.

And what of safe guards, to stop it falling into the wrong hands eg our bovine friend in the east or anyother usurper.

oh and thanks lawgiver, for your thoughts on this......much appreciated.

Lawgiver
12-14-2001, 02:51 AM
The reason I didn't give it more godlike powers (as you seem to be begging for...) is realism. Additionally, the emporer will most likely have other artificats, relics, magical items, etc. to aid him in his rule. Besides how much power can something you sit on do for you. Despite the glorified tales of history emperors, tzars, kings, etc. do not rule alone. They have a key network of advisors and lts. that help them. The Iron Throne is not the throne of God. And even if it were the throne of God... it would be God (the person on the throne) with the power not the 'chair'.

Safeguards... I'm assuming you mean something similar to the Thorn Throne of Tuarheivel. How about a 12d6 lightnening bolt everytime you sit in it or the throne sucks your entire bloodline if you have not been recognized by the Chamberlain.

TheChamberlain
12-14-2001, 11:07 AM
No no lawgiver.....begging for godlike powers....im just exploring ideas and as for realism, ive been running a BR campaign for 5 years based on realism, magic in my game is a thing of mystery and is rarely seen. My game revolves around intrigue and politics and the interplay of nations, in fact none of my PC's are MU's. Magic is a thing of power, unattainable to most, yes their are those who can perform parlour tricks but real magic is reserved for a few key NPC's.

My PC's have blood abilities and have access to magical items but before starting the campaign it was decided that magic should play a role in the game but not overwhelm it. I suppose by playing this way my PC's have grown into respecting magic (if not fearing it) which i think is healthy, dont you?

My questions about the throne, were just fishing for ideas......as i know at least three of my players are striving for a United Anuire (at the obvious cost of others). Apart from the normal dangers of power, i wanted to explore the theory of "Power at a Price" for whoever, if ever, succeeds......

Lawgiver
12-14-2001, 12:51 PM
Chamberlain, I applaud you for your stance on magic in your campaign. To me that is the way the game should be played. I have only had one player with a MU PC in 5-6 years and he lasted 3 months before wanting to switch (not because of me...;)).

Magical items other than swords and armor are all but unheard of in my campaign. However, I do play with versions of the relics that were presented in the Birthright PC game. There was a list of them on the old website. I've carried them over and added them with the Writer's guild if you want to check them out. I don't play 100% by Sepis' conversion, but its a good starting point.

TheChamberlain
12-14-2001, 01:50 PM
Arrrh a kindred spirit, many of my GM friends frown upon my ideas......

But lawgiver.......we know!!!

(lets face it, 5+ year campaigns.....we're doing something right)

Abbess Allessandra
12-14-2001, 01:55 PM
I have a question. Was the Iron Throne an actual object or was it just the idea "an iron throne" due to the type of monarchy that ruled?

TheChamberlain
12-14-2001, 03:40 PM
Its real and in the safe keeping of my name sake! The Chamberlain.

or so they say......The throne as you can read in earlier postings, borders on legend.

I think as a GM its up to you to decide.

Temujin
12-15-2001, 03:48 AM
Just like the Thorn Throne in Tuarhievel, the Thousand Jewel Throne in Ariya, etc... They give the name to the thrones mostly as a symbol of the respect that comes with the position of ruler of such an important state.

Lawgiver
12-15-2001, 06:21 AM
Orginally posted by TheChamberlain

Arrrh a kindred spirit, many of my GM friends frown upon my ideas......

But lawgiver.......we know!!!

(lets face it, 5+ year campaigns.....we're doing something right)

Indeed! I didn't like you much at first.. but you've grown on me. Perhaps, the Chamberlain is wiser than first impressions foretold...

Arlen Blaede
02-09-2002, 04:19 PM
Let me just say that I'm a happier person knowing that Birthright has brought you two closer together.

"We shall all stand united before the Iron Trone....blah, blah, blah,.." add your favorite political message hear. Wait for applause to finish, and bid your audience their God's particular blessings.

Anyway, I was going to say that the image the Iron Throne gives me is related to something out of Robert Jordan's "The Wheel of Time," in that the Crown of Swords was made with very small swords put inside the "ring" of the crown. So if you just sort of shoved it on your head you'd cut yourself. To me it's symbolic of the proper use of power; if you abuse it, you'll get yours in the end. The Iron Throne on the other hand has more of an indomitable symbolism. That the nature of the Emperor and his power is the strength of the mountain. However, if the Emperor pushes to hard he'll find himself buried underneath that same mountain.

Green Knight
02-11-2002, 10:54 AM
Martin's Game of Thrones/ Clash of Kings/ Storm of Swords series has another interesting Iron Throne.

The throne of the Seven Kingdoms is forged from the swords of the lords conqured during the forging of the realm. It's a bitch to sit in - its uncomfortable and if you're not careful you'll cut yourself.

Did Roele do something similar when he created the Anuirean Empire? Perhaps this throne still exists today, or perhaps some decadent Emperor had it replaced?

Lord Eldred
02-11-2002, 09:41 PM
The Chamberlain has it

Green Knight
02-12-2002, 04:20 PM
Or perhaps he is only pretending to have it :P

Lord Eldred
02-18-2002, 07:02 PM
No, there is a reference somewhere that indicates the Chamberlain has it. Although it may come from the book "Iron Throne"!

Lawgiver
02-19-2002, 02:00 AM
Mine own eyes hath seen the glory of the creation. A truly wonderous day it will be when our emperor sits on it again!

Lord Eldred
02-19-2002, 08:03 PM
That day will come according to Haelyn and it will be someone of his choosing!

Green Knight
02-19-2002, 09:26 PM
Or maybe the Gorgon suddenly kicks in the door and the whole rotten structure comes tumbling down? Then he could sit on the throne! Am I in the wrong forum now? :)

Lawgiver
02-22-2002, 04:10 AM
Arrest the blasphemer! OFF WITH HIS HEAD!!! :P

Lord Eldred
02-22-2002, 10:28 PM
I have met the Gorgon and he will never sit on the throne for he will die trying!!

Lawgiver, for a religious man, you are sure quick to have someone's head removed. I would however support having his head examined! :P

Lawgiver
02-23-2002, 05:10 PM
Orginally posted by Lord Eldred
Lawgiver, for a religious man, you are sure quick to have someone's head removed.

You know for a sophisticant you are sure slow on picking up on jokes. ;)

spehar
02-24-2002, 08:40 AM
I don't think the throne is made of iron, nor do I believe it is magical.

I think the Iron Throne means the weight and the symbol of the Anuirean Empire. It is encrusted with the finest jewels and made from the finest wood, perhaps the Spiderfell, the Errebannien or even possibly a gift from one of the elven nations.

If it was made of iron it almost have to be magical since it is located on a small island. Can you imagine how quickly it'd rust? If it wasn't magical some special ointment would certainly have to be applied often.

My thoughts anyway.

Lord Eldred
02-24-2002, 05:19 PM
Orginally posted by Lawgiver

Lawgiver, for a religious man, you are sure quick to have someone's head removed.

You know for a sophisticant you are sure slow on picking up on jokes. ;)

As are you :P

Lord Eldred
02-24-2002, 05:20 PM
Perhaps it is rusted! The Iron Throne not made of iron?

Lawgiver
02-24-2002, 08:15 PM

It was a double joke... I knew you were joking as did you and the secondary joke... and well anyway... I have something to tell you... I'm not left handed!

Lawgiver
02-24-2002, 08:16 PM
Orginally posted by spehar
If it was made of iron it almost have to be magical since it is located on a small island. Can you imagine how quickly it'd rust? If it wasn't magical some special ointment would certainly have to be applied often.

My thoughts anyway.

Why couldn't it be galvanized or coated with a permanent seal to prevent the constant maintenance?

spehar
02-24-2002, 10:42 PM
Perhaps a throne of iron would have a thin layer protecting it from the humidity. Wax perhaps? I'm no chemecial engineer but did galvination techniques exist back then?

Still though, I don't Iron Throne should be taken literally that the throne of the emperor is made out of iron. Just my opinion.

Lord Eldred
02-25-2002, 02:21 AM
Orginally posted by Lawgiver

It was a double joke... I knew you were joking as did you and the secondary joke... and well anyway... I have something to tell you... I'm not left handed!

???????? Neither am I????????

Lord Eldred
02-25-2002, 02:22 AM
I believe it is made of Iron and does not rust because it is magical. I just don't know what magical powers it gives the Regent who sits in it. Any thoughts anyone?

Lawgiver
02-27-2002, 05:57 AM
I believe it is made of Iron and does not rust because it is magical. I just don't know what magical powers it gives the Regent who sits in it. Any thoughts anyone?

Didn't we already cover this in the first half of the thread?

Lord Eldred
03-02-2002, 05:27 AM
Yes and I am looking for more opinions. I have heard enough of my own and yours! ;)

Lord Shaene
03-07-2002, 02:59 PM
I think when people talk about the iron throne it is more commonly assumed to be the monarchy it represented not the throne itself. i believe the holy grail was not made out of gold and jewels but one would likely think so. it was what it represented that was important

Lord Eldred
03-10-2002, 01:19 PM
Many believe the holy grail is an item of significant power. For example it was portrayed that way in Indiana Jones and the Holy Grail.

Chioran
03-11-2002, 03:17 AM

Many believe the holy grail is an item of significant power. For example it was portrayed that way in Indiana Jones and the Holy Grail.

Yes it did hold significant power, however it was quite plain.