PDA

View Full Version : Rhuobhe vs. The Gorgon -- who would win?

Lawgiver
12-08-2001, 11:31 PM
IF Rhuobhe and the Gorgon were 'forced' into a gladitorial arena to fight to the death. (Assuming that each got full access to their weapons and armor of choice) Who would win?

Lawgiver
12-08-2001, 11:53 PM
Forgive the error in the spelling of Rhuobhe in the poll.

Lawgiver
12-12-2001, 12:25 AM
I forgot that most people play the Gorgon as a F25/W16. He's a plain fighter in my campaign. With his wizard abilities Rhoubhe would just have to get off some SERIOUSLY high or lucky rolls to beat the Gorgon.

Lawgiver
12-12-2001, 12:26 AM
I figured I'd just add a post since this thread is dead... Plus I get to have my pic show up 4 times in a row!

Sellenus
01-22-2002, 03:56 AM
Hey I'll jump in!

I say Rhoube, because I always take the underdog!

Lawgiver
01-22-2002, 04:17 AM
Orginally posted by Sellenus
I say Rhoube, because I always take the underdog!

Atta boy! A man after my own heart!

Riegan Swordwraith
01-22-2002, 04:28 AM
I still for the life of me cannot understand why you don't beleive the Gorgon can be a 16th level wizard.He has been around for centuries,which would of given him the time to research spells so they would no longer need somatic components.He has the resources to pay for the research.So other than it makes him a bad-ass SOB,what is the problem??He is BR's Elminster or Iuz or St. Cuthbert.He is THE ultimate bad-arse.

Lawgiver
01-22-2002, 04:38 AM
Orginally posted by Riegan Swordwraith
I still for the life of me cannot understand why you don't beleive the Gorgon can be a 16th level wizard.He has been around for centuries,which would of given him the time to research spells so they would no longer need somatic components.He has the resources to pay for the research.So other than it makes him a bad-arse SOB,what is the problem??He is BR's Elminster or Iuz or St. Cuthbert.He is THE ultimate bad-arse.

I'm sure he would have sufficient time for such activities, but I just felt that keeping him a 25 th level fighter already made him powerful enough. There is no point in overkill by giving him unmatchable magic skills as well. I doubt my PCs will ever attempt it (at least not anytime soon), but I'd like them to have a fighting )or dying...) chance to beat him.

If you really want to get into the development of the Gorgon's power over time thing the Gorgon ought to have a blood score of well over a 1,000. Even killing one blooded scion a year and receiving only 1 blood point would far exceed this number... (though you must remember he has a tighmaevril weapon which would make this a far higher number..) Its all in how powerful you want him to be.

p.s. while it may be blasphemy, I don't like Elminister... I hate super-human unbeatable people... The sheer madness of the rules developed solely for Elminister make me sick to my stomach. :P

Riegan Swordwraith
01-22-2002, 05:25 AM
Lawgiver,I am with ya on the Elminster thing.Quite frankly Forgotten Realms is my least favorite D&D setting.I mean try throwing a rock and NOT hit a 15+lvl wizard.It is ridiculous.

I can see your point there Law,but why not drop his fighter levels some??As to his development over time,I have no freakin' clue.I cannot even think of a theory as to why it wouldn't be higher.

Someday we may know.......

Crystan
01-23-2002, 05:11 PM
I would say Rhoubbhe couldn't beat the Gorgon in a straight up fight, but he could take him down in a nasty ambush / evil plot (16F/16M is nothing to laugh at) with his devious Elf intellect. Gorgon is superior on paper, and has an edge, but that doesn't mean he will always win...

As for Elminster...I still haunt the Wizards Boards under my name Micheal_Roele slamming him and all the uber-idiots of the Realms at every opportunity I get...:P

Raesene Andu
01-24-2002, 06:47 AM
Just one step down from godhood, the Gorgon has immense powers at his disposal. It beggers belief that one of these powers is not the ability to use magic. If you can believe that Rhuobhe is a F16/W16, why can't Raesene be a F25/W16, after all was not Raesene the favoured of Azrai and did he not receive a large share of the god's essense at Deismaar.

Also, I do not believe that Raesene would allow another wizard to exist inside his realm and control holdings. The Gorgon does not trust anyone enough to allow them to take that much power within his own domain, so then the holdings must be his. As the Book of Magecraft states that only a blooded wizard can create holdings, the Raesene must have created them, then he must be a wizard.

(Actually, the BoM says that any regent can control source holdings, just not create or use them unless they are a wizard, so the Gorgon could have got a blooded wizard to create the holdings for him and he now allows loyal wizards to temporaily use the holdings for spells, but why let the fact get in the way of a good argument.)

As for Rhuobhe, he's a purple-skinned weakling and he would have his butt whipped by Raesene if they even came face to face. I suspect that some serious bloodtheft would occur if that even came to pass.

On a side note, for my adurian expansion, I'm working on a legend that states that if ever enough of Azrai's essence was combined within one being, then the dark god could be reborn.

Micheal_Roele
01-24-2002, 03:33 PM
I don't doubt the Gorgon's power at all. He is the odds on favorite, never underestimate Rhoubhe though. Remember he is cunning. I would say depends on the circumstance who would win.

To be honest...I think :P Micheal Roele is the coolest. I love the Gorgon though...and Rhoubhe.

Atlas51
01-29-2002, 06:08 PM
I treat Raesene as a F/M in my campaign, but since no common spell list has ever been printed for him and I havn't read anything about him using normal arcane magic, he doesn't.

Fun with the realm spells though, =)

See -Wierech- from 'Havens of the Great Bay'

Riegan Swordwraith
01-29-2002, 06:20 PM
I would imagine any spell that the Gorgon wants to know,he probably has access to.

Mithrandir
01-30-2002, 03:25 AM
Gorgon all the way. Keep in mind that the original question specifed a straight on arena death-match (No devious elf tricks gonna save you this time!:P ) . As for the gorgon being a magic user, I think it's in complete keeping with his role as the penultimate scion of azrai to be a master of the dark arts.
In short, he is the ultimate baddie, you just should not be able to kill him in a straight fight, regardless of level or blood ability. The same could be said about Rhoubhe, but since one has to go.....

Green Knight
03-07-2002, 11:12 AM
Rhuobhe ambushes the Gorgon, fails to do any serious damage. The Gorgon kills the Elf in two rounds. Elminster attacks the Gorgon, killing him instantly with his multi-barreled-wand-of-megadeath-available-only-to-the thrice-cursed-Chosen-of-Mystra. Azrai appears after a 1500 year nap, anihilates Elminster. Halfling crowd applauds :P

Eric Saxon
03-25-2002, 08:27 AM
Black Prince wins, but not by much, since most of their damage will be done with spells, not hand-to-hand combat. And 9 more levels of fighter means only 27 more hp at those levels. The Black Prince makes Rhoube give him a manicure after he wins.

Ariadne
07-01-2002, 10:38 AM
I think there is much luck involved, whether the Gorgon wins or Rhoubhe. May be the Gorgon is a little bit better, but he must fear Rhoubhes spells. With the greatest luck of all they will kill each other and we have two solved problems. :P