PDA

View Full Version : J.R.R. Tolkien

Lawgiver
12-08-2001, 07:38 PM
This isn't directly related to Birthright, but it is a fantasy topic of interest.

Are you in favor of or opposed to Hollywood making Tolkien's Fellowship of the Ring Trilogy into motion pictures? Why?

Lord Eldred
12-08-2001, 07:42 PM
I would rather wait to pass judgment until after I see the movie. Our D & D group is going to see it together. I am hoping that they did a better job than they did with the animated version.

Lots of people are disappointed anytime a book is made into a movie because the imagination is always better than anything they can put on to film. I am hoping that those who never read the series will go and read the books after seeing the films. It will be worth their time and money!

Lawgiver
12-08-2001, 07:48 PM
I've seen almost every preview and they seem to have done and excellent job casting and the special effects seem fairly good, without being too flashy.

I'm going to see it the 20th with one of my players here in town. If its descent enough I may go see it again with some of my old players (who are in my PBeM) when I go to visit my parents for Christmas.

One the of the guys at work is obsessed with LOTR. He's read the series so much his books are falling apart (...kind of scary if you think about it). He keeps sending me updates... 19 days left, 18 days left... I'm afraid he's hyped it up so much I may be disappointed.

Lord Eldred
12-08-2001, 07:59 PM
It is more likely that he will be disappointed! My suggestion would be clear your mind when you go into the theatre and just enjoy the movie. If you don't expect too much you won't be disappointed.

My brother was rather disappointed with the Harry Potter movie because he expected too much and was actually disappointed that it was too much like the the books.

I just plan on seeing the Lord of the Rings and then go back and reread the books.

Mike Cod
12-09-2001, 05:54 AM
When I heard that the LOTR was made into a movie I decided to read the books. I had read part of the Two Towers some time ago and would like to see the LOTRs' movie. I just recently finished the Hobbit and I am on the 2nd chapter of the LOTR. I'm thinking maybe I should stop reading the book and watch the movie and enjoy the movie, then finish reading the book. That way I won't end up disappointed in the movie.
When one watches a movie for the first time, its always more exciting the first time, with all the suprises and such.

I do agree; however, that the book is much better than the movie. I found that out with "Hamlet", "Rob Roy", "Les Miserables" and "Dracula".
I think LOTR will definitely have to be watched on the big screen.
:)

Magian
12-09-2001, 06:05 AM
They really should make some trilogy movies about characters like Raistlin, Azalin, Vecna, Set, and the Magian. Movies like that would really make the world a better place.

morgramen
12-09-2001, 11:16 AM
I dunno, from what I've seen the LotR looks to be the film of a lifetime. Everytime I see the preview I get all 'shivery". :)

The only bone I have (possibly - we'll wait and see) is the greater role given to Arwen and them playing up the love story between she and the scruffy looking Aragorn. This is a potential boom or bust.

As for the rest of it.... oooooooo.... there's that shiver again.

Lawgiver
12-09-2001, 01:55 PM
I haven't read the novels since early high school. I just recently started The Lord of the Rings, but I haven't put too much effort into it (about 1/8 done). I doubt I'll finish it before viewing the movie. I'm not sure I want too. I agree that viewing the movie first would be a wise decision, simply to avoid comparing it to the novel. Supposedly the director pulled in some LOTR 'experts' to help make sure he didn't deviate from the plot to far and to help keep the movie as accurate as possible. I've been blown away by the previews I've seen.

I think this movie has serious potential to be one of the highest selling films ever. The books have been around for generations and the number of people who fell in love with them is incalculable.

Arjan
12-09-2001, 02:47 PM
i am going to see it the 19th :-) a surprise from my GF, she managed to get tickets for the pre-release :)

blitzmacher
12-11-2001, 12:07 AM
I read the Hobbit when I was in the fith grade, not only has it gotten me hooked on fantasy role playing games, but also on reading any book in general.
I just hope that I can clear my mind of the book while I watch the movie, because there is no way a movie can compare with a book. But still, waiting for the movie to come out makes me feel like a kid at christmas time, or something like that.

Lord Eldred
12-11-2001, 11:44 PM
Definately stop reading now everybody and go back and read them after you see the movie!

Lawgiver
12-12-2001, 12:10 AM
Those of you who can't read ignore this message.

Lord Eldred
12-12-2001, 12:16 AM
:P :) ;)

PCyric
12-13-2001, 01:28 AM
Guys, I 've already bought a ticket for the 21st, and I am more than eager to watch the movie. Something tells me its going to be a masterpiece, as the guys have been working on the film for 6 years (no I am not joking)!
Well, after the "joke" of the DnD movie, at least we have something to hope for. I am sure (from the trailer and the enthusiastic reviews), that my hopes are not for nothing

Magian
12-13-2001, 05:15 PM
As long as Sauron can win I will go and see the movie, I always hated predictible endings.

TheChamberlain
12-14-2001, 12:32 PM
Im going on the 19th with a horde of friends, two of my players went to the premiere here in london already....and they are avid fans of the trilogy......

They loved it completely and are going again on general release.......(says everything really!!!)

Xander
12-17-2001, 01:20 AM
The 20th is just around the corner.
:P

Lawgiver
12-17-2001, 03:48 AM
Actually Xander, the official release is the 19th. We just happen to be going the 20th to avoid all the loons that show up on opening night (no offense guys) and so I don't have to skip church Wed.

Arjan
12-20-2001, 12:50 AM
I just came back from watching the movie, and in the beginning you had the battle were sauron was defeated, it really looked like the gorgon in battle :)

i wont spoil anything, but my impression was very good, i am certainly going to see it a seccond time

blitzmacher
12-20-2001, 11:42 PM
The movie was excellent, if only I wouldn't have had that guy behind me trying to narorrate the story like he was Tolkien it would have been even better.

Bryon
12-21-2001, 02:35 AM
Saw the movie yesterday. Excellent, I hate having to wait until Christmas 2002 and Christmas 2003 for the next two movies.

I totally give this a thumbs up.:)

Lawgiver
12-21-2001, 03:42 AM
WOW....
WOW...
I say yet again... WOW!!!
Quite possibly my new favorite movie. Having read the books I was still enthralled with the film and having arrived home wish I could have stayed at the theatre just to sit through it all over again. I highly recommend it. I agree with arjan. the opening scene reminded me of the Gorgon almost how I envisioned Roele's last battle... with a different ending.

p.s. WOW!

Lawgiver
12-21-2001, 03:55 AM
p.p.s In case you missed it... WOW!

morgramen
12-21-2001, 09:49 PM
I've seen it twice now myself, and I agree. The parallels between it and the Birthright game are amazing! You can tell Rich Baker was a fan!

The entire opening battle WAS Deismaar. The 'death' of Sauron was Azrai, the shockwave... hello Bloodlines!

Mordor IS the Gorgon's Crown.

Moria... well that entire bit was just waaaay too cool!

Lawgiver
12-23-2001, 05:56 PM
I have now seen it twice... may I say yet again WOW! :P

Lord Eldred
12-27-2001, 11:19 PM
I have seen the movie too and I would agree that the opening reminds me a lot like Birthright. I too thought wow that would be the Gorgon. The reason why I am pissed is that I don't think I can wait a whole year to see the next movie and another year after that to see the last one. They are done. Put them out. Let me see them. In fact I think I could have sat a whole 9 hours to watch all three!

morgramen
12-28-2001, 06:42 AM
INDEED Lord Eldred! :)

I went and bought a DVD player for christmas cause I just know that the LotR is going to hit DVD before video... unless of coure they pull a Lucas and sit on the flick for years and rerelease to theatres several times.

Anyway, I bought a 5 Discer, so when it does hit DVD, I won't have to stop between films!! I ought ot at least be able to get the the Fellowship & the Two Towers in there (assuming tht the next 2 films are also 3 hours long.)

BTW, Has nyone tried the Gamesworkshop Lord of the Rings Minature Game yet? If so, got any reviews? How different is it from Warhammer?

Lord Eldred
12-29-2001, 05:07 AM
Haven't tried the game but I too got a 5 disc dvd player with surround sound. I am geeked about it and look forward to the release on DVD!

Lawgiver
12-29-2001, 05:57 AM
Orginally posted by Lord EldredI am geeked about it ...

I'm afraid to ask what this expression means.

florin
12-29-2001, 08:50 AM
I have to agree with all of you here; it was certainly a GREAT movie. I thought Liv Tyler did a pretty good job of being Arwen, and the love story wasn't played out to the point where it would become cheap. Yeah, yeah its true she didn't save Frodo in the book, but heck it was fun this way.

Unfortunately where you have a crowded theatre, you also have plenty of immature individuals. There were many juvenile comments, especially about the use of the word "weed", which we young people most often relate to...well...drugs. (Remember that part where Saruman says to Gandalf; 'that shire weed has dulled your mind', or something to that like?)

Otherwise, it was the best fantasy movie I've ever seen. The storyline was as brilliant as ever, the cast was okay, the scenery spectacular, the visuals...amazing, what more can I say?

I definitely believe you should go see it if you already haven't. Then go see it again, and again, and again!

Florin

faehew
12-29-2001, 04:58 PM
actaully i expected it to be good except the fight scenes. i thought they would be like xena or something. WOW was i ssoooooo happy that they werent. they were the BEST fight scenes i have ever seen. the movie was sooooo much better than i could have immagined. wow.

Lawgiver
12-30-2001, 03:12 AM
Does anyone else see this strange blank post with a broken link for the avatar pic by 'Traveller' occassionally?

Lord Eldred
12-31-2001, 01:40 AM
Yes, and I haven't been successful in editing them away as the moderator. The only success I have had in getting rid of them is by posting and it seems to disappear.

Lawgiver
12-31-2001, 04:40 AM
Just making sure it wasn't my com. Its been giving me probs lately.

Lord Eldred
01-01-2002, 06:07 PM
No it is not your computer in fact I just seen it again on one of the posts. However, when I posted it disappeared.

Perhelion
01-07-2002, 04:57 PM
I agree with all of you on the movie. Great scenes. cant wait for the rest. Just a pity they modified the story... and that Aragorn suddenly becomes an arrogant super-hero.
But Moria...
Ah the clear waters of of Kibil-Nala... ;p

Lord Eldred
01-08-2002, 01:44 AM
Arrogant super hero? Were we watching the same movie? I found him to be not so comfortable with his role as hero but maybe I missed something. Dang, when is it coming to DVD?

By the way Lawgiver, why are you afraid to ask about the expression "I am geeked about it!"?

Lawgiver
01-08-2002, 02:34 AM
I was wondering how exactly one became 'geeked', but I am afraid that you might actually have an answer. :P

Lord Eldred
01-08-2002, 03:02 AM
Since you are afraid that I might actually have an answer, I won't give you one. However, I am still surprised you have never heard that expression. Exactly how old are you?

Lawgiver
01-08-2002, 03:11 AM
23 going on 36. I have aged myself considerably. I had my first kid at 18, second at 21, my third is on the way in June! I like to say I'm trying to get them out of the house before I'm 45 so I can retire! The second one was planned, the third was an unexpected blessing.

I worked full time though college taking 17-18 hours a semester and raising a family. Needless to say I averaged about 4-6 hours of sleep a night (which is quite unhealthy by the way!). I graduated college in May 2000 and am thrilled to only have to work 40 hrs. Its like a vacation!

Lord Eldred
01-08-2002, 03:15 AM
Geeked is probably considered an 80s phrase which may slightly be before your time.

I know how you feel about work being a vacation sometimes. Except for the fact that I leave my 2 and 5 year old to work at a place where there a bunch of high school students who act like they were between the ages of 2 and 5.

Lord Eldred
01-08-2002, 03:16 AM
Hey the traveler was back on this thread just now grrrr

blitzmacher
01-08-2002, 03:33 AM
Lawgiver I know how you feel, my last year in the military I pretty much worked a 24 on 24 off schedule. Top that off with 3 children. So I decided to become a civillian and have more time off. Then I found myself working two part-time jobs, one full-time job and going to school 16hrs a week. When I finished school this last May I got lucky and got a job with the city I live in and now work a 9 to 5 job with weekends and holidays off, so I was able to quit one part-time job, but am keeping the other since its volunteer work. But with all of the extra time off I didn't know what to do, so now my wife is having another child which should keep me busy enough for a little while.

Lawgiver
01-08-2002, 03:36 AM
Blitzmacher: Your signature, 'Rest, HA! Plenty enough time to rest in the grave.' reminded me of myself. I was always fond of saying, 'I can sleep when I'm dead'.

Perhelion
01-08-2002, 10:22 AM
Lord Eldred:
i only saw the film once so far but Aragorn managed to grate on my nerves... In the book he appears to me as a retiring, modest figure, forced into leadership with the fall of Gandalf. Here he single-handedly defeats five ring-wraiths, takes command and orders the company about. I particularily dislike the way the film treats the breaking of the fellowship. What was wrong with JRR's interpretation?
Good film nonetheless, cant wait for the other two.

TheChamberlain
01-08-2002, 10:56 AM
Lets face it guys, no film will ever do any novel justice.....as readers we all draw from our own imaginations and life experiences, and build our own world around the frame work of the story. But as for Peter Jacksons work on the film i can only applaud his efforts for an entertaining film....and one that captures, at least the feel of our beloved epic.

Yes the film not truly accurate....but who's that anal to lose sleep over it.

Great film! (in my humble opinion)

The Chamberlain

Perhelion
01-08-2002, 08:17 PM
Certainly not me... though I confess to losing a bit of sleep over the beauty of Kazad-Dhum... ;p

Lord Eldred
01-13-2002, 01:57 PM
I don't see how defeating five wraiths makes him arrogant. Just a great fighter maybe but not arrogant. I took him ordering the group around as more that he is afraid of what might happen if they don't keep moving and continue to be alert. However, I will watch the movie again to see if I missed it.

Xerath
01-25-2002, 12:26 AM
I've played D&D for 20 years, but have never read LOTR (not even the Hobbit). I'm vaguely familar with the story (I've seen the animated movies, but only once, years ago), and I must say that watching this movie is the quickest way I have ever spent three hours.

Do we REALLY have to wait till XMAS for the next one & will the DVD be out before then (my changer is waiting!!)

PS. I agree with Lawgiver - WOW!!

Xander
01-31-2002, 12:11 AM
I finally got to see it before they took off our wonderful screen here in Murray,KY. And all i can say about it is
WOW!!!

Mithrandir
01-31-2002, 05:36 PM
The LOTR movie, as good a movie as I must admit it was, was nothing compared to what it could have been. The books are masterpeices of fantasy literature and they have been reduced to a cheap action flick. One of the main reasons I choose to play birthright as opposed to Forgotten realms or any other setting is the in depth role-playing and story development. In this movie, time an again, meaningful conversations that show the true depth of the plot are removed in favour of leaping into battle. The ultimate case in point is the scene were saurman's treachery is revealed. The dramatic conversation and battle of wills that takes place in the book is removed in favour of realms stlye wizard battle with cheap specail effects. That being said, the parts that were done well, (the deaths of Gandalf an Boromir come to mind) were done perfectly and I would not change them for the world. But unfortunatly Peter Jackson chose to make too many major changes to a masterpeice, not for time constraints or the limitations of film, but because he presumed to try to improve the marketability of a masterpeice of fiction, and that's just sad.

Lord Eldred
02-10-2002, 06:23 PM
Who said Gandalf died ;) I didn't see that...Did anyone see him actually dead?

Green Knight
02-11-2002, 01:39 PM
Gandalf dead? That would be something of a new twist to the story! I only saw him being pulled into the abyss by the invincible Balrog ;)

I really enjoyed the film. Jackson really handled the book to movie transition very well. Lots of action, new twists to the story and you just have to love the orcs!

If you miss something... just read the book again.

Lord Eldred
02-11-2002, 09:29 PM
Mithrandir said that Gandalf died but I am with you Green Knight, he was only pulled in to the Abyss!

Abbess Allessandra
02-21-2002, 01:43 AM
Being an expert on the Abyss, I mean uh. Yes he is pulled into it. He is not dead. Everyone presumes him dead, even Frodo. It has to be this way.

Riegan Swordwraith
02-21-2002, 04:22 AM
I have seen the movie twice,once in a old cineplex style theatre,with the too-close together seating and "turn the volume up real high" surround-sound.The other in a stadium seating theatre.I would continue to be watching this movie if I could be physically comfortable for the three hours this movie runs.

I just have this to add to Lawgiver's statements;"BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lord Eldred
02-22-2002, 09:51 PM
Why in the world would you go to watch the movie at the old style theater? Too close together seating and turn the sound way up just sucks for the amount of money you pay!

Riegan Swordwraith
02-23-2002, 07:17 AM
At the time I didn't feel like driving an hour to a movie theatre when one was 10 minutes away.Plus I couldn't wait no longer!!!!

Lord Eldred
02-24-2002, 05:14 PM
I hope it was worth it. Given the amount of time you spent in the theater I might have taken the extra hour for the comfort!

morgramen
03-30-2002, 05:13 AM
I've seen the film four times now. It's still a thrill each time. I can't get enough of the entire Moria sequence myself. (That Balrog with the spectacular 'Hells Furnance roar' makes me shiver, though I must say that my all time favorite scene was during the race to the ford... 'nodallim my horse!' and then WHUMP! Momentary pause as the steed of light draws it's head back in sheer magnifiecent pride, and then WHOMP! Light Speed! WonderfuL!

Alos way cool was the battle between Gandalf and Sauraman. Never pictured a wizardly duel being bashing each other about with phantasmal force spells and such. No lightning bolts, fireballs, or other tricks, just good old magically induced pugalism! Very nice touch.

I'll likely see it at least twice more. That should take me fairly close to the 'rumoured' release of the DVD in October. Then tis only afew short months till the Two Towers!

OH YEAH BABY!

Lord Valkyr
04-16-2002, 12:16 PM
I have seen the movie 6 times & it still rocks... I am a movie buff :) the last 2 times I saw the trailer for the second movie... I believe you will find the answer on Gandalf there or read the book :)