PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite Realm

Lawgiver
12-08-2001, 12:45 AM
What is your favorite Birthright realm (available to PCs) in Anuire? and why?

What is your favorite NPC controlled realm? and why?

Lord Eldred
12-08-2001, 02:23 AM
The United Provinces of Haelyn formerly known as Roesone, Oseorde, Ilien and Medoere is my favorite realm. Why? Well since I am the High Councilor of this realm, isn't it obvious!

As far as some other realm not run by me...I would have to say Aerenwe because that Queen woman really has her act together and there really is no way I want war with the elves!

Mike Cod
12-08-2001, 03:18 AM
If anyone read my posts On the 2nd Ed. Races column they'll know my answer.

Favorite PC realm?
Sielwode is my favorite Realm. Sidhelien and powerful wizards.

Favorite NPC realm?
Need I say it? The manslayers realm.
;)

morgramen
12-08-2001, 12:16 PM
Roesone man. It's all about Roesone. In fact, the entire Birthright system is just a backdrop for, and was totally designed around, Roesone.

Marlae is just too cool. Sedrie Bellamie is just too cool. The Tarkal Deeps... too cool. It is a realm that is both wild and untamed, yet civilized at the same time. It's the wild west of Cerilia. Just the right amount of PC power for my taste too. Enough to get the job done, but ifyou aren't careful, then you're belly up in poverty within 2 domain turns! It is a challenge but not an impossible one.

As for NPC realms, I'd have to say it's Osoerde, under Raenehc's regime. This guy is just too nasty and his cahhonies are made of solid iron! The presence of the Vos temples in the heart of old Anuire is just too good an opportunity to shake things up, and keep the good guys on their toes. Raenech is so nasty, there is almost no limit to what a DM can do with him.

Magian
12-09-2001, 05:58 AM
The Sword Mage, because he is going to take over Ghoere soon.

Sivar Windlass
12-09-2001, 03:03 PM
Pc realm: Well I control only Medoere, which I think is a terrific land. But I like Tournen too. In the Rjurik highlands I like the most Halskapa. But I will not probably control it. Búhú....
But the land which most have suprised me and must be in my favorite list is Binsada in Khinasi. Great story and great charachters in this land.

NPC lands: The manslayer land, Rhouanoch? And Rjuvik in Rjurik highlands. Love Fulgar the bold! Great charachter!

Riegan Swordwraith
12-10-2001, 06:52 AM
Aerenwe.....Look at my name for cripe's sake!!!;)

NPC I have to go with Ghoere..just because that is who I have had the most experience with.

On a side note..There used to be a Players Secrets to Arenwe on this site,but I cannot seem to find it now.Does it still exist???And if so where??Thank you Very much.

Lawgiver
12-10-2001, 12:18 PM
I have always been partial to cold and dreary Talinie. If one can avoid Aeric Beooruine, its a prime location to build strength without too much interference. Having only 3 neighbors it is easier to defend. The economy is fairly descent and is easy to turn into a thriving market. For some reason, most people over look this realm. I even had someone say no to the realm in a PBeM, because quote, 'it is too far from the action'. BAH! Within a year the regent should be able to take two provinces from the FIve Peaks and 3 from Thurazor. That ought to be enough to turn more than a few heads northward.

As far as NPC realms, I have always thoroughly enjoyed playing Guilder's Kalien Endier. He has been known to stir the pot more than once. His vast resources and widespread influence makes him a key factor in my campaign. I prefer to play Kalien sort of like Jarlakel (sp?) from the R.A. Salvatore's Dark Elf trilogy (anyd subsequent books). I generally gt him involved fairly early by having hm show up to meet key PCs offering them a loan of 20GB payable over 3 years. His only conditions are 5GB in interest (25%!!! which doesn't phase the PCs...) and rights to establish guild holdings within the regents borders (he leaves it vague unless the PCs press him). Nearly everyone of them bites almost without question (SUCKERS!!! hehe...). Its just a fun realm to have in the mix.

As far as the player's secrets of Aerenwe. I don't think that one has been converted yet (though I don't remember it ever exists...). The old site is still running if you want to hunt for it though: http://www.birthright.net/old. The PS that have been are under the Royal Library General Info. If you can tell me where the PS of Aerenwe is located on the old site I'll add it to this one.

Sivar Windlass
12-10-2001, 01:33 PM
The drow merc name is Jarlaxle! Great charachter but a little to predictable

Rhobher Nichaleir
12-10-2001, 03:27 PM
I've always been partial to Endier or Brosengae, but since joining Morg's Pbem I've come to see some of the nonlanded regents like the WIT, MOC and HA as being pretty cool.

dmferry
12-10-2001, 09:23 PM
I am not that familiar with BR but Talinie is a nice realm and my first campaign startet there 3 weeks ago. Lots of adventure / conquer possiblities here. Goblins, Orogs and other nasties only a stone throw away.

~dmferry

Magian
12-12-2001, 06:39 AM
The Aerenwe PS, I have this on my own computer and printed it out along with the others I downloaded however I don't have internet access from my computer anymore. (university computer)

NPC realms? Well...let me see....hmmm....the Magian of course. He is the most fun character to play intrigue with cause no one truly knows his intentions and he is very involved.

Boeruine is my fav in Anuire but that is only because imo he has the greatest claim to the Roele bloodline. Ghoere will be very fun when MOC schisms though.

Lord Eldred
12-13-2001, 01:25 AM
Is Magian an NPC or PC?

PCyric
12-13-2001, 01:42 AM
Well, my favourite realm is definitely Osoerde. Jaison is pretty nasty to make a perfect villain, and William makes the perfect avenger-style character, which gives the realm a heroic taint. Of course the mad regent is more powerful than the rebel son of the ex ruler, but in those cases the revenge is a very powerful tool. Internal strife and eternal struggle are always the spice of heroic games.

Temujin
12-13-2001, 02:06 AM
Orginally posted by Lawgiver
I have always been partial to cold and dreary Talinie. If one can avoid Aeric Beooruine, its a prime location to build strength without too much interference. Having only 3 neighbors it is easier to defend. The economy is fairly descent and is easy to turn into a thriving market. For some reason, most people over look this realm. I even had someone say no to the realm in a PBeM, because quote, 'it is too far from the action'. BAH! Within a year the regent should be able to take two provinces from the FIve Peaks and 3 from Thurazor. That ought to be enough to turn more than a few heads northward.

Honestly, if Talinie can avoid Boeruine, Boeruine just isn't doing his job well! :P I mean, cmon! That's the only realm supporting his claim to the throne, so if anything, the good Archduke should make sure he keeps their favor(not to mention keeping them in his debt, cause a Talinie that swallows up both the Peaks and Thurazor... or even just one of the two could end up more powerful than their 'liege' and their 'liege' wouldn't want that, would he? :P)

As far as me, I like Diemed a lot, Coeranys also is great if played well too! Outside of Anuire, I like Binsada and Dauren lots. My favorite non-awnshegh NPC nations in Anuire stands as Ghoere no doubt, outside of it, Aftane is definitely a very interesting realm! My favorite awnshegh on Cerilia definitely is the Raven, whom I had fun writing a long background plot for him in one of my games.

Lawgiver
12-13-2001, 04:09 AM
Orginally posted by Temujin

Honestly, if Talinie can avoid Boeruine, Boeruine just isn't doing his job well! :P I mean, cmon! That's the only realm supporting his claim to the throne, so if anything, the good Archduke should make sure he keeps their favor(not to mention keeping them in his debt, cause a Talinie that swallows up both the Peaks and Thurazor... or even just one of the two could end up more powerful than their 'liege' and their 'liege' wouldn't want that, would he? :P)

ah, ah... you have used a false permise. The acknowledgement of Aeric's right to the throne was by Thuriene Donalls... not the PC regent. Besides it also adds the clause that Talinie has yet to pledge GBs or troops. The player's Secret's stress Donalls avoidance and dislike of Aeric. A wise PC would attempt to play Avan off against Boeruine to help draw Aeric's focus southward. Inciting Rhoubhe while pretending to be Boeruinian would also draw in the manslayer to keep Boeruine's troops tied up on that border. If nothing a else a little gold in the right places may keep Aeric at ease. Aeric sweeps south and Talinie sweeps north. Its actually to Aeric's advantage. He would then only have to control one regent rather than three...

Magian
12-13-2001, 05:22 AM
Lawgiver,

you fox you.

Lawgiver
12-13-2001, 05:30 AM
;) Nothing wrong with a good moral guy dabbling in a little intrigue. (I use the innocent appearance and demeanor to the best of my ability:p)

Lord Shaene
12-14-2001, 01:30 PM
Endier because its the perfect rogues haven if your a regent

Lawgiver
12-15-2001, 06:41 AM
Endier is a reserved realm in my camppaign... I couldn't bear to replace Kalien. I stear those desiring to be guilders toward Ilien.

Xander
12-16-2001, 04:22 AM
Coeranys... They have a few problems like generating income, but have a huge amount of possibilities. Especially with the main river from the mountains of Baruk Azhik coming straight through it. They do have afew border problems, but these can be dealt with.
Long live Xander Archos of Coeranys;)

Arch-Sorcerer Gargamel
12-17-2001, 07:40 AM
Illien is great for regents who want to develop the second best city in the south (eventually the best even). It can be a little difficult to run as a mage with Rogr's sources, but the Player's secrets hints at a staff of the magi and a little diplomacy with your neighbors can go a long way for a delicious source network. The old half-elf can even be contested, eventually.

The guild potential is also great if you are of that bent, expansion of the province and seizure of the open holding slots can be accomplished.

I've had success running trying to develop a trade network as the wizard-count of Illien. Watch out for Diemed and some of the other ambitious rulers in the area and you're set.

I'm also partial to being a pirate or wizard ruler of Mieres.

The random Chaos of the Spider is very delightful. The idea that random hordes of humanoids can overrun your players' territory at the convenient whim of an insane ex-goblin can lead to players holding back a bit in the south.

Perhelion
12-17-2001, 06:13 PM
I've fallen in love with Elinie... (Though I've taken the liberty of adding a few forests and even a mountain peak or two). Nice, provincial location, far from the corruption and the greed of the throne-grubbers, nice, decent population, proximity to men, elves and dwarves (and too many goblins). What more could you ask!
I've been working on a hum... 'novel' set in Elinie. I'll publish it on the writers guild some day but its far from finished, and I'm not happy with many parts of it. I could publish a map though.
Other favoured realm: Khurin-Azur! The only true dwarven realm set near the clear waters of Nebil-Khala... er its the Fallachlach but you get my meaning. ;)

The Masetian
12-20-2001, 07:43 AM
I´ve always been bitter of the fact that no Masetian realms exist. They are a great race (I see them as a mixture of Renaissance Venice and Greeks around the times of Plato and Aristotle)

One could create one´s own realms for them, but what excuse would you have for them not being found or the likes ..(actually I do have an idea, but I am not telling now:p)

My favorite realm(s) (if we diverge from Masetia for a while) is probably Ilien and Tuarhievel. Both have massive potential, and the Gorgon as a neighbour doesn´t scare me ! (to arms you lazy dogs!) ....My only concern is that the Aglondier line should have continued and if not, then Rogr should at least have been 10th lvl. or so (given the realm´s dependency on magic as a defense).

My favorite Npc is probably Darien Avan...Rightful Ruler of Anuire !

Lawgiver
12-20-2001, 01:16 PM
Orginally posted by The Masetian
One could create one´s own realms for them, but what excuse would you have for them not being found or the likes ..(actually I do have an idea, but I am not telling now:p)

Give them an island somewhere. Storeis abound that it is haunted, because no ships that go there ever return. (the Masetians keep using their naval advantage to sink them!).

brownie
01-15-2002, 04:09 AM
hmmm i think i have to go with the Vos. You cant beat them when the warship crecia and belinik. And the animals not no little horses, they use varsk. THose animals are just unbeileable.

Sellenus
01-16-2002, 06:41 PM
I haven't gotten to use any yet!

My DM prefers a home brew world. This makes the source books pretty much usless for our games. Well actually... I suppose there is probably a weath of information in those books. Considering the game I play in, are the source books worth picking up? What info do you think I would find useful?

Thanx...

brownie
01-16-2002, 08:49 PM
you could always pick them up and try and use some the ideas in there. You can always try to use them. It is up to your DM if he lets you or not. Just make sure you have a good arguement to help your ideas.

Sellenus
01-17-2002, 12:07 AM
I have no problem with the arguing part!

What book(s) should I start with?

brownie
01-18-2002, 08:23 PM
you can do some on line searching for the varsk. I have not seen the 3ed BR so i don tknow if they are in there. THe only problem with the varsk is it has to be a cold area so they can live in them.

Lawgiver
01-21-2002, 05:38 AM
Orginally posted by Sellenus
I haven't gotten to use any yet!

My DM prefers a home brew world. This makes the source books pretty much usless for our games. Well actually... I suppose there is probably a weath of information in those books. Considering the game I play in, are the source books worth picking up? What info do you think I would find useful?

Thanx...

The Players Secrets books won't be of much use if your DM prefers a home-brewed world (though they may help him with ideas). As a player I'd probably suggest the Book of Preistcraft or Magecraft. Beyond the boxed set, most of the other Birthright tools are more suited to DMs IMO.

Sellenus
01-22-2002, 03:44 AM
Thanx for the input.

I'll just purchased a few off of e-bay. I figure they are worth a look. Besides, they were cheap enough...